Founded more than 40 years ago to serve the health care industry, Epstein Becker Green (EBG) has approximately 125 health care lawyers who counsel and represent clients in every sector of the industry—including payors, providers, manufacturers, as well as entities that invest in these sectors and providers of professional and support services to these entities. Each of EBG’s practices serves the health care industry and has done so since the firm’s inception.
EBG’s outstanding national reputation in the health care area is reflected through high rankings in Chambers USA as well as a national “Tier 1” ranking for Health Care Law in U.S. News - Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” (2017). We have also been recognized as one of the largest health law firms by Modern Healthcare. According to client feedback in The Legal 500 United States, EBG is “renowned for regulatory work and its historic role in the development of U.S. health care legislation.” And EBG’s “‘expertise in healthcare is beyond reproach’, and the firm, founded to service the healthcare industry in 1973, is ‘very well connected to the CMS and the overall payor community—it knows what will work and what will not’.” Also, “In addition to staying abreast of the health care legal and regulatory environment, Epstein Becker Green lawyers have a keen understanding of the market and common business practices, which take a broad customer base and years of experience to develop,” according to client feedback in U.S. News - Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms.”
Health Law Transactional and Regulatory Services
EBG’s Health Care and Life Sciences (HCLS) practice provides clients in the health care industry with transactional, regulatory, and compliance counsel—from day-to-day advice to core “bet the ranch” decisions. Our areas of representation include virtually all aspects of health law. Our health care thought leaders provide innovative legal counsel and business advice, effectively anticipating and guiding health care clients through the release of new regulations, closing vital transactions, and managing government investigations and actions with an eye on the long game to secure the best outcome for our clients’ business. We also help clients navigate antitrust, medical technology, corporate, fraud and abuse, managed care, pharmaceutical and life sciences, privacy and security, and related areas, as well as advise employers, health care providers, health plans, and insurers on the opportunities and risks created by the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
Life Sciences Services
The firm has extensive experience representing life sciences clients, including biotechnology, pharmaceutical, and medical device manufacturers; hospitals; health systems; telehealth companies; and technology providers. We counsel these entities on all aspects of health care regulatory issues impacting their businesses and products as well as compliance with applicable federal and state laws and regulations. We also provide comprehensive legal services relating to all aspects of the development of products; the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulatory approval process; government and third-party reimbursement concerns; post-approval marketing and commercialization requirements; investigations and administrative matters; acquiring, leveraging, and enforcing intellectual property rights; corporate compliance; and pending legislation, rulemaking, regulations, and guidance.
Employment, Labor, and Workforce Management Services
The Health Employment And Labor (HEAL®) strategic industry group at EBG unites two of the firm’s practices—HCLS and Employment, Labor & Workforce Management—to guide health care clients through the challenges that they face in the labor, employment, and workforce management area, as well as employee benefits matters and the full range of issues concerning U.S. and foreign immigration laws. Our cross-disciplinary legal and regulatory experience enables us to provide comprehensive and practical solutions to complex employment problems.
Members of the HEAL® strategic industry group assist health care clients with:
- Discrimination matters
- Employee benefits programs
- Immigration matters
- Labor-management relations
- Non-competition agreements
- Wage and hour compliance
- Whistleblower actions
Additionally, members of the HEAL® strategic industry group counsel health care clients on how to effectively handle ACA and U.S. Department of Labor policy changes, which are creating new liabilities for organizations operating in the health care industry and new requirements for labor and employment compliance.
The size and complexity of the health care industry has increasingly led to high-stakes litigation among providers, manufacturers, insurers and, overwhelmingly, federal and state law enforcement agencies and qui tam relators and plaintiffs’ lawyers acting in the name of the government. EBG helps clients meet the challenges of health care litigation. And our litigators, who include high-level governmental prosecutorial backgrounds, have extensive experience representing health care and life sciences clients in federal and state trial and appellate courts and before administrative and private tribunals in civil and criminal cases, and handling matters involving, among other things:
- Antitrust issues
- Bankruptcy and insolvency issues
- Compliance breaches
- Contract disputes
- Data breaches or other cyber security events
- Employee benefits disputes
- Fraud claims
- Government contracting disputes
- Malpractice and professional liability claims
- Products liability
- Regulatory and securities issues
- Reimbursement and financing disputes
- Securities issues
- Trade secret disputes
Strategic and Advocacy Services
As part of EBG’s role in taking the lead in understanding, interpreting, and shaping the issues and regulations that affect health care and life sciences entities, the firm is affiliated with EBG Advisors, Inc. (EBGA), and National Health Advisors (NHA):
- EBGA is a Washington, D.C.-based consultancy that takes a multidisciplinary approach to helping health care and life sciences companies navigate the many obstacles that they face. EBGA provides a network of international attorneys, policy analysts, strategists, and other professionals who specialize in providing coordinated guidance and solutions across various segments of the health care industry. EBGA’s trusted advisors show clients the optimal path to take a medical device to market, create policy solutions, navigate FDA regulations, and achieve other key objectives. Please click here for more information regarding EBGA.
- NHA is a consultancy dedicated to the provision of legislative and regulatory advocacy offering public policy and government affairs consulting. Two noted Washington, D.C., health and policy veterans—Leslie Norwalk and Bill Oldaker—integrate the resources of one of the District of Columbia’s premier government relations firms, a bio sciences consultancy group, and one of the largest health care and life sciences firms to propose solutions to complex problems. Please click here for more information regarding NHA.