Health care providers and businesses turn to attorney Lisa Gora for advice on regulatory compliance and representation in corporate transactions. Lisa is also a leader in Epstein Becker Green's cannabis practice, providing legal guidance to cannabis-related businesses in the evolving legal framework.
Lisa regularly analyzes federal and state statutes and regulations in connection with the federal Anti-Kickback Statute and Stark Law, New Jersey’s Codey Law and other state-specific self-referral laws, the federal False Claims Act, the New Jersey False Claims Act, Board of Medical Examiners regulations, HIPAA, HITECH, licensing and reimbursement issues, and other fraud and abuse laws. Her clients include health care professionals as well as group practices and other health care entities, such as hospitals, academic medical centers, ambulatory surgery centers, management service organizations, ambulatory care facilities, substance use treatment facilities, mental health facilities (outpatient and inpatient), and nursing homes, among others.
Lisa’s health care, corporate, and cannabis clients also rely on Lisa to guide them through transactional matters concerning mergers and acquisitions as well as the formation and structure of such entities, including joint ventures, affiliation agreements, and management services organizations. In addition, she reviews and prepares physician employment agreements and corporate-related ownership documents for medical practices and her cannabis clients.
On the forefront of the burgeoning cannabis industry and with many years of industry experience, Lisa helps clients in the cannabis space navigate the industry’s complicated and ever-changing regulatory landscape. Her cannabis law practice includes the representation of alternative treatment centers within the medicinal cannabis industry as well as start-ups and multistate operators in the personal adult-use cannabis industry, such as cultivators, manufacturers, retailers, delivery services, distributors, and testing laboratories. Lisa advises clients in connection with licensing, ownership, and regulatory compliance pursuant to state laws, rules, and regulations. Lisa also advises clients on regulatory considerations associated with anticipated mergers and acquisitions. Additionally, she provides advice to physicians, hospitals, and others doing business in the legal cannabis market in New Jersey concerning issues related to recommending, authorizing, administering, and possessing medical cannabis.
Further, Lisa frequently lectures on ownership in medical practices and cannabis entities (buying in and separating from) and the related considerations and challenges. She has lectured to residents and fellows of differing residency programs at medical universities within New Jersey and New York regarding the key components of physician-employment agreements and how to equitably negotiate such terms. Some of the medical centers she has presented at are Columbia University Medical Center (NY), Mount Sinai Hospital (NY), Bronx VA Medical Center (NY), and Monmouth Medical Center (NJ).
Lisa serves as Chair of the Medical Staff, Credentialing, and Peer Review Practice Group of the American Health Law Association. She is also Chair of the New Jersey State Bar Association Health Law Section and Co-Chair of the Cannabis Law Committee.
Lisa serves as co-author of the New Jersey Law Journal monthly column on the impacts of legal cannabis on New Jersey businesses. She was Editor-in-Chief of the first edition of Health Care and the Business of Cannabis: Legal Questions and Answers, a first-of-its-kind project published by the American Health Law Association, which offers insight on the interplay between medicinal cannabis and the health care industry, as well as related information on legal and practical considerations in connection with business opportunities surrounding medicinal cannabis and its by-products. She also co-authored “Medical Marijuana: State and Federal Law Thickets and Practical Implications” in the Health Law Handbook, published by Thomson Reuters in May 2020. Before joining Epstein Becker Green, Lisa was Co-Chair of the Cannabis Law team and a shareholder in the Corporate and Health Law teams at a regional law firm.
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Health Care Law (2024). This award is conferred by Best Lawyers. A description of the selection methodology is available here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- The Best Lawyers in America©, “One to Watch” for Corporate Law and Health Care Law (2022 to 2023) and for Corporate Law (2021). This award is conferred by Best Lawyers. A description of the selection methodology is available here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Chambers USA: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, “Up and Coming” in New Jersey–Healthcare (2019 to 2023). This award is conferred by Chambers and Partners. A description of the selection methodology is available here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- New Jersey Law Journal, New Leader of the Bar (2020). This award is conferred by the New Jersey Law Journal. A description of the selection methodology is available here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- New Jersey Rising Stars, Health Care, Business/Corporate, Cannabis Law (2018 to 2023). This award is conferred by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology is available here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- New York Law School (J.D., 2012)
- Rutgers University (B.A., cum laude, 2007)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- New Jersey
Professional & Community Involvement
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Medical Staff, Credentialing, and Peer Review Practice Group, Chair (2019 to Present), Vice Chair (2016 to 2019)
- Law360 Cannabis Editorial Board (2022, 2023)
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Cannabis Law Section, Chair (2021 to Present)
- Health Law Section, Chair (2021 to Present), Vice Chair (2019 to 2020), Secretary (2018 to 2019)
- What Is a Non-Disclosure Agreement, and What Provisions Are Important to Protect Physicians? – Docs Doing Deals On-Demand WebcastFall 2023
- 6th Annual Cannabis Law Institute – Before You Can Follow the Money, You Have to Determine the Best Strategy to Get the MoneyJune 9, 2023
- New Jersey State Bar Association Annual Conference: Psychedelics - Law, Legislation, and Litigation in 2023May 18, 2023
- May 19, 2022