Greg Keating’s top-notch skills in and out of the courtroom have won him the respect of employers. He is both a trusted advisor on a panoply of employment issues and a much sought-after whistleblower defense attorney. Greg also defends employers in a wide range of other employment disputes. He draws on more than 25 years of experience as a litigator and employment lawyer to help clients successively resolve their workplace issues.
Employers seek Greg’s daily advice on every type of employment issue. He also regularly advises a substantial number of private independent schools. A thought leader on whistleblower issues, Greg counsels clients on establishing a strong compliance program to help them avoid problems. He previously testified in the U.S. Senate on creating effective compliance programs and helped write a thought leadership piece on compliance programs while serving for four years on the U.S. Department of Labor’s Whistleblower Protection Advisory Committee.
Whistleblower Defense Attorney
Greg has earned a national reputation as a whistleblower defense attorney. He helps clients successfully prepare for, investigate, and defend claims raised by whistleblowers. Greg has litigated and investigated whistleblower matters across the country and around the world. He has handled whistleblower engagements under the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, the Dodd-Frank Act, the False Claims Act, and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. Greg is the principal author of the national treatise Whistleblowing and Retaliation, now in its sixth edition. In 2008, he established the first whistleblower defense practice group in the United States.
Greg has extensive experience defending against class and collective actions arising under the Fair Labor Standards Act, Title VII, and the ADA, among others, including defeating class certification and prevailing on the merits. He also manages cases involving restrictive covenants, trade secret violations, and employee raiding. Additionally, he investigates allegations of sexual harassment, retaliation, and other wrongdoing.
Before joining Epstein Becker Green, Greg was chair of a Boston-based law firm’s Whistleblower Defense and Labor, Employment & Benefits practice groups. Greg teaches the course “Whistleblowing and Retaliation” at Boston College Law School as an Adjunct Professor.
- Investigated and litigated allegations of fraud under Sarbanes Oxley on behalf of the largest oil and gas refinery in the United States.
- Represented a health care system in litigation brought by a former department chair alleging whistleblower retaliation and gender discrimination.
- Successfully enjoined, on behalf of a national defense contractor, a former sales executive from engaging in solicitation of employees and customers in violation of his contractual obligations.
- Led an investigation and advised the board of directors of a health system into allegations of wrongdoing against the system’s chief executive officer raised by a whistleblower.
- Conducted an investigation into allegations of retaliation involving senior executives at publicly traded Fortune 100 company.
- Led a sexual harassment investigation into allegations that senior executive at national retailer created a hostile environment. Greg formulated a remedial plan for minimizing liability relating to same.
- Obtained dismissal of a False Claims Act whistleblower retaliation claim in federal court in Virginia on behalf of a major defense federal contractor.
- Represented a global manufacturer in a Sarbanes Oxley/Dodd-Frank/Foreign Corrupt Practices Act case brought by a compliance officer.
- Litigated an employee raiding and trade secret case involving millions of dollars of potential exposure in state court in Kansas City on behalf of global reinsurance company.
- Boston College Law School (J.D., cum laude, 1993)
- Trinity College (B.A., 1987)
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- ADA Compliance Guide
- Boston Bar Association
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Act Newsletter, Editorial Advisory Board
- Leave and Disability Coordination Handbook, Editorial Advisory Board
- National Employment Law Institute, Board of Advisors
- Section 504 Compliance Handbook, Editorial Advisory Board
- Special Education Advisor, Editorial Advisory Board