SHAWNDRA G. JONES is a Senior Counsel in the Employment, Labor & Workforce Management practice, in the New York office of Epstein Becker Green. She has counseled employers on questions arising at the intersection of technology and the workplace and has spoken extensively on legal and ethical issues associated with social media and other digital platforms.
In addition, Ms. Jones:
- Advises employers on complying with applicable laws, rules, and regulations concerning diverse labor and employment issues, such as family and medical leave, disability accommodation, wage and hour matters, anti-discrimination, and workplace privacy
- Represents clients in labor and employment-related litigation before state and federal courts and administrative agencies
- Drafts or updates provisions for employment applications, employee handbooks, and separation agreements
Before joining Epstein Becker Green, Ms. Jones was an attorney in the New York office of a boutique law firm, where she focused on labor and employment matters, contract disputes, and commercial litigation. She began her career in private practice at a large U.S. law firm, where she worked on commercial litigation matters, including a trade secrets case.
While attending Columbia Law School, Ms. Jones was the editor-in-chief of the Columbia Journal of Law and Social Problems and a co-chair of the Student Senate’s Graduation Committee. She also externed at the Office of the New York State Attorney General in the Internet Bureau and in the U.S. Attorney’s Office in the Eastern District of New York and interned for the Honorable George B. Daniels of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
After graduating from law school, Ms. Jones served as a law clerk to the Honorable Alvin W. Thompson of the U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut.
- Columbia University School of Law (J.D., 2008)
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- Editor-in-Chief, Columbia Journal of Law and Social Problems
- Yale University (B.A., cum laude, 2005)
- With Distinction in Psychology
- Psi Chi, the National Honor Society in Psychology
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- National Bar Association’s 40 Under 40 Nation’s Best Advocates (2016) and Excellence in Innovation (2016) Awards
- The National Black Lawyers – Top 40 Under 40 (New York) (2016)
- Empire State Counsel® Outstanding Pro Bono Volunteer (2016)
- Empire State Counsel® Honoree (2013 and 2015)
- American Bar Association (Section of Labor and Employment Law; Center for Professional Responsibility CLE Committee)
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Association of Black Women Attorneys
- National Bar Association (Labor and Employment Law Section; Women Lawyers Division)
- New York City Bar Association (Judiciary Committee; Diversity in the Judiciary Subcommittee)
- New York State Bar Association (Labor and Employment Law Section, Workplace Rights and Responsibilities Committee; Commercial and Federal Litigation Section, Social Media Committee; Committee on Technology and the Legal Profession, Cybersecurity Subcommittee)
- Practicing Attorneys for Law Students Program
- Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts