JEFFREY P. MONGIELLO is an Associate in the Litigation & Business Disputes and Health Care and Life Sciences practices, in the Newark office of Epstein Becker Green. He has extensive commercial litigation, white-collar criminal defense, and appellate litigation experience.
- Represents clients from a wide range of industries, including health care, financial services, and technology, media, and telecommunications, in white-collar criminal and civil government investigations, ranging from fraud to public corruption
- Litigates commercial cases in state and federal court, including contractual disputes, insurance coverage disputes, fraud, and class actions
- Prosecutes and defends appeals in federal circuit courts of appeal and state appellate courts
Mr. Mongiello has been chosen by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America©: “Ones to Watch” (2021) in the field of Commercial Litigation.
Before joining Epstein Becker Green, Mr. Mongiello was a commercial litigation, white-collar criminal defense, and government investigations attorney at a regional law firm.
Earlier in his career, Mr. Mongiello served as a New Jersey State Deputy Attorney General in the Appellate Bureau of the Division of Criminal Justice, where he represented the State before the Appellate Division and New Jersey Supreme Court on matters of statewide importance. In that capacity, he successfully defended against a constitutional challenge in the New Jersey Supreme Court to the state’s judicial recall statute, which authorizes retired judges over the age of 70 to temporarily return to service. He also received the 2015 Attorney General’s Award for Excellence in Trial Litigation for his role in a successful public corruption prosecution by twice securing reversals on interlocutory appeals of the trial court’s rulings, including one reversal on an emergent basis during trial to prevent the court from issuing its proposed jury charge.
During law school, Mr. Mongiello participated in Seton Hall Law School’s Impact Litigation Clinic, where he briefed and argued an appeal before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and obtained a reversal of the district court’s order on behalf of his client. He also interned at the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, where he investigated claims of race, sex, age, and disability discrimination in educational institutions.
Mr. Mongiello completed clerkships with the Honorable Anne M. Patterson of the New Jersey Supreme Court and the Honorable Mary L. Cooper of the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey. In addition, the New Jersey Supreme Court has appointed Mr. Mongiello to serve as a member of the District VI (Hudson County) Ethics Committee.
Mr. Mongiello’s litigation experience includes:
- Defending a dietary supplement company in a federal class action claim that alleged false labeling and advertising of the company’s products
- Representing a health care communications company in an investigation and litigation relating to whether promotional product materials were educational in nature and in compliance with federal law
- Defending directors and officers of a health care services company in litigation brought by a manufacturer alleging fraudulent practices in the sale of a product
Mr. Mongiello’s appellate litigation experience includes:
- Drafting a successful Petition for Certification to the New Jersey Supreme Court that convinced the court to review a published decision by the Appellate Division that had allowed the plaintiff to pursue claims against a client under New Jersey’s Law Against Discrimination
- Drafting a brief in a contractual dispute where the New York Appellate Division affirmed a declaratory judgment, entered after a bench trial, that a client was entitled to reimbursement plus interest
- Successfully moving before the New Jersey Appellate Division to dismiss an appeal as improvidently filed, persuading the Appellate Division that the trial court’s order remanding the matter back to the board was not a final appealable judgment pursuant to Rule 2:2-3
- Seton Hall University School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2011)
- Managing Editor, Seton Hall Law Review
- Order of the Coif
- Distinguished Scholar
- University of Maryland (M.P.P., 2006)
- University of Maryland (B.A., 2005)
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- District VI (Hudson County) Ethics Committee
- Hudson County Bar Association
- John C. Lifland American Inn of Court
- New Jersey State Bar Association