THOMAS KANE is a Member of the Firm in the Litigation and Health Care and Life Sciences practices, in the Princeton office of Epstein Becker Green. In 2017, Mr. Kane was recommended by The Legal 500 United States in the area of Healthcare: Service Providers.
Mr. Kane has:
- Extensive experience representing health care clients, including hospitals, physician groups, and individual providers in unfair competition, antitrust, contract, and reimbursement disputes.
- Represented clients in a wide variety of industries, including health care, technology, finance, insurance, pharmaceuticals, and retail services matters, before federal and state courts at both the trial and appellate levels, administrative bodies, and various arbitral forums.
- Litigated complex commercial disputes, including RICO, antitrust, and unfair competition claims.
- Litigated complex First Amendment issues, including commercial defamation and Lanham Act claims.
- Extensive experience litigating class action cases, during class certification proceedings and at trial, in the state and federal courts of New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Florida.
Mr. Kane’s recent practice highlights include representing multiple hospital systems in unfair competition litigation involving interstate transfer patterns of critically ill cardiac and neurology patients. He has also represented hospital systems, physician provider groups, and individual providers in multi-million dollar reimbursement disputes with insurers. Mr. Kane also recently represented a group of related health care companies in a claim against a regional hospital system for breach of a master services agreement whereby the hospital was to compensate our client based on the performance of certain managed service lines. The representation included winning a federal court injunction, that was upheld by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, stopping the raiding of our client’s employees. He is also currently representing a Silicon Valley hardware component manufacture in an international theft of trade secrets claim.
Before joining Epstein Becker Green, Mr. Kane was Of Counsel to the litigation group at a large regional law firm. Previously, he was an attorney at an international law firm, where he focused on mass torts and product liability matters.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Kane was a legislative assistant to U.S. Representative Robert E. Andrews of New Jersey. Following law school, Mr. Kane clerked for the Honorable Thomas N. O'Neill, Jr., of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Rutgers University School of Law – Camden (J.D., High Honors, 1999)
- Articles Editor, Rutgers Law Journal
- Georgetown University (B.A., 1992)
- New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey
- New Jersey Bar Association
- Deborah Heart & Lung Ctr. v. Virtua Health, Inc., A-2307-17T1, 2019 WL 3162362 (N.J. Super. Ct. App. Div. July 16, 2019), cert. denied, 240 N.J. 188 (2019)
- Capital Health Sys., Inc. v. Veznedaroglu, 15-8288, 2017 WL 751855 (D.N.J. Feb. 27, 2017)
- Cardionet, Inc. v. Medi-Lynx Cardiac Monitoring, LLC, CV158592MASTJB, 2016 WL 4445749 (D.N.J. Aug. 22, 2016)
- Konowiz v. Carr, No. 15-6913, 2016 WL 3610154 (D.N.J. June 30, 2016)
- HR Staffing Consultants LLC v. Butts, 627 Fed. Appx. 168 (3d Cir. 2015)
- HR Staffing Consultants LLC v. Butts, No. 15-3155, 2015 WL 3492609 (D.N.J. June 2, 2015)