RICHARD J. FREY is a Member of the Firm in the Employment, Labor & Workforce Management and Litigation & Business Disputes practices, in the Los Angeles office of Epstein Becker Green. He is a seasoned litigator, focusing his practice on the unique labor and employment challenges faced by employers and general and complex commercial litigation and business matters. His clients include Fortune 500 companies, prominent hospitals and health care groups, sports and entertainment agents, movie studios and independent film producers, communications companies, government contractors, and nonprofit organizations, among others.
- Provides representation to employers in all types of employment litigation, in both state and federal courts and before arbitration tribunals
- Represents clients in commercial litigation matters involving, among other things, securities transactions, ERISA, insurance coverage, contract disputes, trade secrets, and unfair competition
- Defends commercial class actions against alleged violations of the California Business and Professions Code § 17200, and provides representation to clients in wage and hour and shareholder derivative class actions
- Represents employers in collective bargaining, union avoidance, and labor arbitration
- Provides advice on government investigations and litigations, internal investigations, and regulatory matters
- Counsels corporate clients on non-compete and non-disclosure concerns arising from mergers and acquisitions, including the drafting and negotiation of executive employment contracts and contractual provisions addressing trade secret and employee mobility issues
Before joining Epstein Becker Green, Mr. Frey served in dual leadership roles as both the Chair of the West Coast Commercial Litigation Practice Group and the Chair of the West Coast Labor and Employment Practice Group of a large national law firm. Previously, he was a partner at an international law firm, where he served in the Trial Department and focused his practice on labor and employment matters and trade secret and unfair competition litigation.
While attending law school, Mr. Frey served as a Senior Staff Member of the Pepperdine Law Review and was a Judicial Clerk for the Honorable James M. Idelman of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.
In 2018, Mr. Frey was recognized as a “Top Litigator” in Los Angeles by the Los Angeles Business Journal. He has also been selected for inclusion in Southern California Super Lawyers lists (2007 and 2010 to 2018) in the areas of Employment & Labor: Employer, Civil Litigation: Defense, and Entertainment & Sports. In 2004, he was included on the Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Stars list.
- Pepperdine University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1994)
- Dean’s Merit Scholar
- Senior Staff Member, Pepperdine Law Review
- University of California, Santa Barbara (B.A., cum laude, 1991)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- Children’s Burn Foundation, Board of Directors
- Good Shepherd School (New Orleans, LA), Annual Golf Tournament, Co-Chair