Firm co-founder Steven B. Epstein advises health care company boards of directors and their chief executives on strategic opportunities, complex regulatory compliance, investigations, and critical decision-making. Recognized as the “father” of health care law by Chambers USA: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business, clients value his historical perspective, vast network of relationships, and strategic insight into today’s legal and business markets. Steven influenced managed care’s prominent rise in the United States and continues to guide leaders in the sector.
Steven has served on numerous boards of directors, including those of health care companies and private equity firms, which strengthens his advice on sound corporate governance and the prevention of reputational risks. Whether evaluating the merits of a proposed acquisition or joint venture or strategizing on company-defining negotiations, Steven brings to light the crucial issues leaders need to know.
Steven’s clients appreciate his personal and collegial approach, professional integrity, candid opinions, and continued commitment to the health care industry and the law. Among his current pursuits is expanding access to medical innovations—including for COVID-19-related treatment—for regional not-for-profit health systems, which is a focal point of Steven’s leadership of Epsilon Health Investors.
Lauded for his vision of health care’s unique regulatory dynamics and clients’ need for specialized counsel to manage them, Steven created a new legal discipline and has trained generations of attorneys in mastering health care law. He has served as a legal consultant to the Health Maintenance Organization Service of the U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare. Steven is the recipient of numerous civic and professional accolades, including the Medal of Excellence from Columbia Law School, his alma mater.
- The Best Lawyers in America, Health Care Law (2008 to 2024)
- Chambers USA: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business, District of Columbia—Healthcare (2009 to 2019)
- The Legal 500 United States, Healthcare: Advice to Health Insurers, "Hall of Fame" (2011 to 2023)
- Washington, DC, Super Lawyers, (2007 to 2023)
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Rated since 1990
- Columbia Law School’s Medal for Excellence (2009); Columbia University’s Distinguished Alumni Award (2007)
- Columbia University School of Law (J.D.)
- Tufts University (B.A.)
- District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of the United States
Board of DirectorsFor Profit:
- Accretive (Accumen) (2010-2019)
- Advance Health (Sold to New Mountain in 2017)
- CareView Communications, Inc. [CRVW-OBB] (a HealthCor Company) (2014-Present)
- Catamaran Corporation [NASDAQ: CTRX] (Sold in 2015)
- Discovery Health (and Subsidiary Corporations) [JSE: DSY] (2005-2016)
- Haights Cross Communications (Sold 2017)
- MedExpress (a General Atlantic Company) (Sold in 2015)
- National Compliance Solutions, Inc. (Sold in 2018)
- OrthoSensor, Inc. (2013-2018)
- ResCare (an Onex Company) (2011-2019)
- Restorix Health (a Leonard Green Company) (2012-Present)
- Solis Women’s Health (an Audax Company) (2012-2018)
- Syft (Sold in 2022)
- Columbia Law School Board of Visitors, Chairman
- Tufts University Board of Trustees (1999-2009)