Attorney Scarlett Freeman’s experience includes:
- Representing employers on a broad array of matters, such as compensation, restrictive covenants, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, whistleblowing, and other employment-related disputes, and has appeared in federal and state courts and in arbitrations and mediations before FINRA, JAMS, and AAA
- Advising employers in all facets of the employment relationship, from pre-employment considerations and hiring to terminations and post-employment restrictions
- Counseling clients on practices and procedures, such as employee handbooks and stand-alone policies, and avoiding disputes over matters stemming from employee discipline, reductions in force, leaves of absences, and accommodation requests
- Preparing and advising on employment, consulting, separation, and non-compete agreements
- Representing clients in commercial litigation, business disputes, and breach of contract matters
- Representing plan sponsors and fiduciaries in the defense of claims brought under ERISA, including breach of fiduciary duty and denial of benefits
- Assisting clients with the complexity of issues involving electronically stored information (ESI) and e-discovery obligations and best practices in the course of litigations and internal investigations
- Assisting with domestic and international internal investigations related to complaints of sexual harassment, discrimination, bullying, and other inappropriate behavior
While at law school, Scarlett was a Research Editor for the St. John’s Journal of International & Comparative Law and the New York International Law Review. She also served as an intern for the Honorable Robert P. Patterson, Jr., of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York; a legal and government affairs intern at a not-for-profit organization that provides in-home nursing care; and a legal intern at a global financial institution.
Scarlett was a 2005 Fulbright Fellow to Ethiopia in affiliation with the Institute of Ethiopian Studies at Addis Ababa University.