DEANNA L. BALLESTEROS is a Senior Attorney in the Employment, Labor & Workforce Management and Litigation practices, in the Los Angeles office of Epstein Becker Green. Ms. Ballesteros litigates before courts and administrative agencies at the federal, state, and local levels on behalf of both private and public sector entities.
Ms. Ballesteros represents such public sector bodies as municipalities and local governmental administrative entities.
She also advises and litigates on behalf of clients in a wide range of private sector industries, including marine terminals, telecommunications providers, oil refineries, oil and gas producers, retail food distributors, national grocers, restaurants, hotels, electronics manufacturers, cultural educational organizations, advertising agencies, television networks, financial institutions, steel distributors, hospitals, health insurers, medical corporations, franchisers, diagnostic testing providers, and import/exporters.
Ms. Ballesteros' experience includes:
- Litigating on behalf of private sector clients in such diverse matters as employment-related disputes, including discrimination, harassment, wrongful discharge, retaliation, failure to accommodate disabilities, wage and hour disputes, and failure to provide leave (both in individual and class action contexts), as well as in commercial contract, unlawful interference with prospective economic advantage, unfair competition, landlord/tenant, fraud, and misrepresentation cases
- Representing public sector entities in the litigation of environmental law issues, as well as the scope of various state and local laws, such as California's Emergency Medical Services Act and tax lawsuits
- Resolving disputes short of trial through pre-trial motion practice and by negotiating favorable settlements
- Counseling clients in various areas of the law, including employment-related, commercial, and real estate matters.
- Investigating complaints of discrimination and retaliation
- Litigating ADA Title III public accommodation matters on behalf of private clients
- Advising corporate election inspectors
Ms. Ballesteros has served as second chair in jury trials and as first and second chair in bench trials. Also an experienced appellate advocate, her reported decisions include:
- United Steel, Paper & Forestry, Rubber, Mfg., Energy, Allied Indus. & Service Workers Intern. Union, AFL-CIO, CLC et al. v. Shell Oil Co. et al., 602 F.3d 1087 (9th Cir. 2010)
- United Steel, Paper & Forestry, Rubber Manufacturing, Energy, Allied Industrial & Service Workers International Union, AFL-CIO, et al. v. Shell Oil Company, et al., 549 F.3d 1204 (9th Cir. 2008)
- U.S. v. Wealth & Tax Advisory Services, Inc., 526 F.3d 528 (9th Cir. 2008)
- County of San Bernardino v. City of San Bernardino, 15 Cal. 4th 909 (1997)
- City of San Jose v. State of California, 45 Cal. App. 4th 1802 (1996)
- Castaic Lake Water Agency v. City of Santa Clarita, 41 Cal. App. 4th 1257 (1995)
- Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law (J.D., 1991)
- Barnard College, Columbia University (A.B., 1984)
- California State Courts
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section