DEAN R. SINGEWALD II is an Associate in the Employment, Labor & Workforce Management and Litigation practices in the Stamford office of Epstein Becker Green. He represents employers, taking a practical and cost-efficient, results-driven approach, in all facets of employment law, from hire to separation, including affirmative action and EEO compliance, representation before the OFCCP, and litigation.
Mr. Singewald's extensive employment law experience includes:
- Representing domestic and multinational corporations in a broad range of industries, including entertainment, financial services, health, hospitality, manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, and retail, addressing conflict, implementing strategies, and resolving disputes that take into account the business needs of the client
- Providing advice and counsel in all aspects of the employer-employee relationship, including employment applications, background checks, drug and alcohol testing, accommodation, development of personnel policies and procedures, leaves of absence, workplace investigations, employee discipline, and termination of employment (including reductions in force)
- Advising government contractors on their affirmative action and EEO compliance obligations, including assisting in the preparation and implementation of affirmative action programs, preparing quantitative analyses, and conducting impact ratio and compensation analyses to identify and address potential adverse impact and compensation disparity issues
- Defending government contractors nationwide in OFCCP compliance reviews, including desk audits and on-site reviews, developing strategic submissions, and negotiating conciliation agreements
- Counseling management on a wide range of corporate diversity matters to enhance corporate diversity performance
- Training managers and supervisors concerning EEO issues, including affirmative action, diversity, and the prevention of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation
Mr. Singewald's litigation experience includes:
- Representing clients before federal and state courts and administrative tribunals, and serving as local counsel, on matters involving unlawful employment discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wrongful discharge, breach of employment contract, wage and hour, whistleblower, and a variety of related contract and tort claims
- Litigating commercial disputes, including business tort, contract, products liability, and toxic tort claims
- Implementing strategic litigation plans with client input and resolving complex disputes to client satisfaction through negotiation and mediation
A member of the Board of Trustees at The Country School, an independent day school in Madison, Connecticut, Mr. Singewald is also a member of the Connecticut Bar Association, where he previously served as Co-Chair of the Diversity Committee and led the Association's efforts to improve the diversity of its membership and that of the legal profession. He is a former Officer of the Association, having served as Assistant Secretary-Treasurer (2003 to 2004), and is a former Chair of the Young Lawyers Section.
Mr. Singewald began his legal career as a Registered Player Agent with the National Hockey League Players Association, negotiating player and broadcaster contracts.
After graduating from Deerfield Academy, Mr. Singewald received his bachelor's degree from Brown University and earned his law degree, cum laude, from New England School of Law.
- New England School of Law (J.D., 1990)
- cum laude
- Brown University (B.A., 1987)
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
- Connecticut Bar Association