Bob Hearn believes in making legal work count and never losing sight of every task’s value proposition. He uses creative but practical strategies to resolve disputes, manage liabilities, and untangle regulatory and compliance challenges in an efficient yet durable manner. That’s why clients trust him when complex and potentially costly matters require attention.
Bob’s practice, while legally diverse—covering both litigation and regulatory, compliance, and business counseling work—has a strong focus on the health care and life science sector. Bob has dedicated a significant part of his career to representing a national clinical laboratory in a wide array of litigation matters and in facility and personnel licensure and certification, billing, compliance, regulatory, and payor-oriented matters that span the lab’s operations. In addition to his deep experience with laboratories, Bob serves a broad range of health care and life sciences clients. Clinical research entities, pharmaceutical companies, medical product manufacturers, medical practices, and other health service providers also turn to Bob to defend them in products liability, death and injury, and commercial litigation and to advise them on risk mitigation and regulatory and compliance concerns.
Geographically, Bob litigates throughout Florida and in other jurisdictions across the country. Likewise, his regulatory work often engages him with state and local governments outside of Florida.
In court proceedings, Bob is known for investigating cases thoroughly, getting ahead of his opponents on the medicine and science, and distilling and presenting complex issues to courts and juries in an approachable way. His litigation experience allows him to bring sophisticated but practical regulatory counsel to his clients in the laboratory, clinical trial, pharmaceutical, and medical products industries.
Before joining Epstein Becker Green, Bob was a health care attorney and commercial litigator at a regional law firm. Earlier in his career, he was an associate, then a partner, at a prominent white collar defense firm and a law clerk to U.S. Magistrate Judge Mark A. Pizzo of the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida.
- Defends a national laboratory in an array of litigation matters, including claims arising from cytology and histology interpretations, prenatal genetic testing, result reporting and specimen management issues, blood coagulation studies, FDA-regulated tissue transplant testing, microbiology cultures, and phlebotomy and specimen collection injuries. Bob’s casework focused extensively on defending misdiagnosis of cancer cases and the efficacy of laboratory screening tests.
- Handled liability claims arising from the performance of FDA-regulated clinical trials for a global contract research organization, and worked with sponsors to manage such claims.
- Represented a global pharmaceutical manufacturer in state opioid litigation.
- Helped a professional football franchise determine whether its training facility was subject to state health care licensure relative to its on-site training operations.
- Routinely assists corporate health care providers renew facility licenses and maintain compliance with the agency standards.
- Assists clients with transitioning health care licenses and certifications to new ownership.
- Successfully represented corporate and individual clients in federal criminal prosecutions and pre-indictment investigations arising from the alleged violation of environmental, health care fraud and abuse, securities fraud, public corruption, and telemarketing fraud laws and rules.
- Tulane University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1995)
- Vanderbilt University (B.A., 1990)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- Challenged Athlete’s Foundation, Florida, Board Member
- The Florida Bar
- Gasparilla Distance Classic Association, Organizing Committee Member
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation (2021)