MELISSA L. JAMPOL is a Member of the Firm in the Health Care and Life Sciences and Litigation practices, in the New York and Newark offices of Epstein Becker Green. A former federal and state prosecutor, Ms. Jampol represents health care organizations—including health care systems, physician group practices, pharmacies, clinical laboratories, and other health care providers—and their officers and directors, in a variety of enforcement matters at both the state and federal levels.
During her tenure as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of New Jersey, Ms. Jampol served in the Health Care and Government Fraud, Violent Crime, and Organized Crime & Gang Units, where she led significant, complex investigations and prosecuted a broad range of high-profile criminal cases, including those involving health care fraud, money laundering, mail and wire fraud, tax fraud, Anti-Kickback Statute violations, child abuse, violations of racketeering (RICO) statutes, and securities fraud. She previously served as an Assistant District Attorney at the New York County (Manhattan) District Attorney's Office, where she investigated and prosecuted sex crimes and violent crimes and led investigative teams on money-laundering and tax-evasion cases.
Ms. Jampol has significant experience interacting with a wide range of federal and state law enforcement agencies. She also has tried more than two dozen cases in state and federal court and conducted numerous pretrial and post-trial hearings.
In her practice at Epstein Becker Green, Ms. Jampol:
- Defends clients undergoing investigation for health care fraud by the U.S. Department of Justice, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of Inspector General, and other state and federal governmental authorities
- Defends clients in white-collar criminal matters, and performs internal investigations for entities facing potential action by state and federal governments, including the New York State Department of Financial Services and the National Credit Union Administration
- Serves as defense counsel in connection with False Claims Act cases (including qui tam litigation)
- Counsels clients on federal and state health care fraud and abuse laws, including the Stark Law and the Anti-Kickback Statute, state corporate practice of medicine requirements, nonprofit and tax-exemption laws and regulations, state licensure requirements, enforcement trends, regulatory issues, and voluntary disclosures
- Conducts employment investigations into allegations of sexual harassment and sexual assault as well as whistleblower and retaliation complaints
In 2017, Ms. Jampol was recommended by The Legal 500 United States in the areas of Healthcare: Health Insurers and Healthcare: Service Providers. She received the 2015 U.S. Department of Justice Criminal Division Assistant Attorney General’s Distinguished Service Award (one of only six trial teams nationwide to receive this honor) and the 2016 New Jersey Women in Law Enforcement Meritorious Achievement Award, in which she was recognized for her excellent advocacy and litigation skills and her unwavering dedication to justice. Additionally, Ms. Jampol was nominated for the Executive Office of the U.S. Attorneys Director’s Award for Superior Performance as an Assistant U.S. Attorney, in 2006, 2012, and 2016.
- Northwestern Pritzker School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1998)
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Criminal Law & Criminology
- Yale University (B.A., with distinction, 1993)
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- American Bar Association: Health Law Section, Criminal Justice Section
- American Health Lawyers Association
- City Bar of New York: Criminal Advocacy Committee, Women in the Legal Profession – White Collar Crime Subcommittee
- Health Care Compliance Association
- Member, Game Over: Commission to Protect Youth Athletes, a blue-ribbon commission established to examine the institutional responses to sexual abuse committed by former USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar.