JAMES S. TAM is an Associate in the Health Care and Life Sciences practice, in the Washington, DC, office of Epstein Becker Green.
- Advises clients on public and private policies on issues arising under Medicare and Medicaid, including coding, coverage, and payment
- Advises pharmaceutical manufacturers regarding federal pricing issues under 340B, the Federal Supply Schedule, Medicare, and Medicaid
- Provides health regulatory advice on a range of compliance and reimbursement matters
- Informs health care entities of industry trends and policy developments
- Assists health care providers and health care-related companies in connection with government inquiries, audits, and investigations
- Guides technology clients through state statutory and regulatory health care landscapes
In 2018, Mr. Tam served as a contributing author of Epstein Becker Green's Telemental Health Laws app, the firm’s latest and most comprehensive survey of state telehealth laws, regulations, and policies for mental and behavioral health practitioners and stakeholders across all 50 states and the District of Columbia. The 2018 data is an update to the firm’s original 50-State Survey of Telemental/Telebehavioral Health (2016) and its 2017 Appendix, for which Mr. Tam also served as a contributing author.
Mr. Tam began his professional career at health care advisory firms as a management consultant to pharmaceutical, biotech, diagnostic, and device manufacturers. He supported clients in a wide range of health care policy-related engagements, including public/private payor reimbursement policy advocacy, health economic analyses, drug-pricing strategy development, and product valuation assessments in M&A and licensing opportunities.
While attending law school, Mr. Tam served as a Legal Intern at the Massachusetts Executive Office of Health and Human Services, Office of General Counsel; then as a Judicial Intern for the Honorable George A. O’Toole, Jr., of the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts; and, later, as a Legal Intern at a nonprofit health maintenance organization that offers health insurance to Massachusetts and New Hampshire residents. Mr. Tam also served as a Senior Staff Member of the Northeastern University Law Journal and as a teaching assistant for several Northeastern University School of Law courses, including drug law and policy, global health, and quantitative and analytical methods for lawyers.
- Northeastern University School of Law (J.D., 2015)
- Senior Staff Member, Northeastern University Law Journal
- University of California, San Diego (B.A., 2007)
- University of California, San Diego (B.S., 2007)
- District of Columbia
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association