JAMES J. OH is a Member of the Firm in the Employment, Labor & Workforce Management practice, in the Chicago office of Epstein Becker Green. He represents employers from various industries, such as insurance and financial services, in employment cases in courts around the country.
Mr. Oh’s experience includes:
- Defending clients in employment litigation alleging violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, and the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Representing clients in wage and hour and discrimination class actions and in high-profile, high-exposure single-plaintiff cases
- Providing counsel on compliance with the laws and regulations affecting the workplace, including wage and hour compliance, discipline and termination, leaves of absence, affirmative action obligations, and unfair competition
- Conducting proactive pay audits and pay equity analyses
- Advising and training employers and industry stakeholders on compliance with recreational and medical marijuana (cannabis) laws recently passed in many states, including workplace drug policies, disciplinary action policies, and accommodations
Before joining Epstein Becker Green, Mr. Oh was a Shareholder at an international firm devoted to representing management in labor and employment matters. He has published numerous articles and made presentations on a variety of employment law topics, including wage and hour compliance, class action certification, and sexual harassment. He also has given speeches on developments in wage and hour class action law; classifying employees properly under the FLSA; the interplay between the ADA, the FMLA, and workers' compensation laws; and conducting internal investigations.
Mr. Oh has been chosen by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© (2015 to 2020) and selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers list in the field of Employment & Labor (2005 to 2013, 2015 to 2020). In 2019, he was named to Lawyers of Color’s inaugural “Nation’s Best” list. Mr. Oh was also named a 2014 Rainmaker by Diversity & the Bar Magazine; received the 2012 International Law Office’s Client Choice Award in Employment & Labor; and earned an AV® Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Northwestern University School of Law (J.D., 1987)
- Northwestern University (B.A., 1984)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Illinois Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- U.S. District Court, District of Nebraska
- American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section