CLAY LEE is an Associate in the Health Care & Life Sciences and Litigation & Business Disputes practices, in the Nashville office of Epstein Becker Green. Mr. Lee has been chosen by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America©: “Ones to Watch” (2021) in the fields of Criminal Defense: White Collar and Health Care Law.
- Represents individuals and businesses in all aspects of litigation and in connection with federal and state government audits and investigations
- Serves as outside counsel for organizations and individuals in federal civil rights claims
- Conducts internal investigations, acquisition diligence reviews, and compliance risk assessments
- Defends clients in criminal health care fraud cases and in False Claims Act matters (including qui tam litigation) based on allegations of Stark/Anti-Kickback Statute violations
- Represents clients in white-collar criminal defense matters, including grand jury investigations
Before joining Epstein Becker Green, Mr. Lee served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), in its Nashville office, and served as an advisor and instructor for DOJ’s international rule of law programs in Bangladesh. As a prosecutor, Mr. Lee was responsible for coordinating federal investigations into hundreds of violent and sophisticated organized criminal organizations. He represented the government in dozens of federal jury trials and has extensive appellate experience before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
While attending law school, Mr. Lee served as a clerk to Circuit Court Judge Lee Russell of the 17th Judicial District of Tennessee. Prior to law school, Mr. Lee worked as a research scientist in a developmental genetics laboratory at Vanderbilt University and later served as a biology instructor and lecturer at the University of Arkansas.
- University of Arkansas, Graduate School and International Education (M.S., 2011)
- University of Arkansas School of Law (J.D., 2010)
- University of Tennessee (B.S., 2006)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Tennessee