Robert D. Reif Fellowship
Epstein Becker Green created the Robert D. Reif Fellowship with the assistance of American University Washington College of Law. The mission of the Robert D. Reif Fellowship is to honor the memory of our longtime partner Robert "Bob" Reif by furthering his commitment in the practice of law to maintaining the highest level of ethical standards and professionalism in dealing with clients, fellow attorneys, and the community.
We believe, as did Bob, that there are core values in the legal profession that transcend the social and economic changes that take place over time and that such values provide a moral compass that guides a good lawyer to uphold justice, the rule of law, and service to the community, while faithfully representing clients. Our vision is to perpetuate and enhance such values by enabling law students to engage in further study and research into legal ethics and values, thereby enhancing the profession's and society's appreciation of their importance.
Epstein Becker Green created the Robert D. Reif Fellowship with the assistance of American University Washington College of Law and in conjunction with law professor, Mary Clark, who focuses on these issues.
Past Finalists and Winners
- Carlos Montalvo – WINNER – "Socially Responsible Lawyering: How ESG Investing is Shaking Up the Role of the Corporate Lawyer."
- Emily Shivetts – WINNER – “He Makes What!? Filling Gender Pay Disparity and Promotion Gaps Left Behind by Title VII and the Federal Equal Pay Act.”
- Alison Shlom – “Moving Towards an Impartial Judiciary: Recommendations to Prevent and Discipline Judicial Bias”
- Sahar Takshi – “At What Cost? A Commentary on Protective Action Under Model Rule 1.14(b)”
- Neah Evering – WINNER – “Protecting the Young Associate: How the ABA Model Rules of Professional Conduct Can Better Protect Young Associates in Big Law from Sexual Harassment”
- Allison Graber – “Major Charges, Minor Offenders: How to Ethically Avoid Charging Minors as Adults in New York”
- Maria Thompson – “The Federal Prosecutor’s Subpoena Power as Applied to Another Lawyer”
- Savannah Turner – “The Dilemma Faced by Attorneys Subject to Sexual Harassment”
- Andrew Beeler – WINNER – “The Black Box of Lawyers Assistance Programs: Explaining the Need for Special Advocates for Impaired Attorneys”
- Vidya Dindiyal – “Ensuring Due Process Rights and Fair Access for Society’s Most Vulnerable Low-Wage Workers: What Are Defense Counsel’s Ethical Obligations with Regards to Communications with Potential Class Members?”
- Jennifer Goldstein – “Weeding Out Ethical Issues: the Budding Cannabis Industry and Your License to Practice Law”
- Brian Zack – WINNER – “Analyzing Legal Ethics for Municipal Attorneys in the Wake of Kelo v. City of New London”
- Stephanie Poucher – WINNER – “Extending Gideon’s Promise to Those Unknowingly Facing Deportation: Does a Noncitizen Have a Right to Counsel When Facing Charges That Do Not Carry Jail Time, But Nevertheless Constitute a Deportable Offense?”
- Claire Rozdilski – “What’s the Deal With Daily Deals? An Ethical Dilemma”
- Andrew Sletten – “E-Discovery and Its Implications for the ABA Model Rules”
- Farrah Champagne – “Judging the Justices: Supreme Court Ethics, Recusals, and Conflicts of Interest”
- Michael Shields – “To Recuse or Not to Recuse, That Is the Question: The Rising Tide of Money in State Judicial Elections and the Need for Legitimate Recusal Reform”
Making a Contribution
Contributions made to the fellowship are tax deductible. Anyone wishing to donate funds should fill out the form below and then send it with a check (made payable to "American University Washington College of Law" or "AUWCL") or credit card information directly to:
Senior Manager of Legal Recruitment & Professional Development
Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
1227 25th Street, NW, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20037
We would like to THANK and acknowledge those who have made contributions to the Robert D. Reif Fellowship.
Founder ($25,000 and Above)
Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
Benefactor ($10,000 - $24,999)
Steven & Deborah Epstein
Amy, Eric & Melissa Reif
Jeffrey Snyder & Lynn Shapiro Snyder
Patron ($5,000 - $9,999)
Stephen Badger/GW Medical Faculty Associates
Steven Fisher & Tobi Mackler
Doug & Ginny Hastings
Supporter ($1,000 - $4,999)
Wendy Goldstein & Josh Feldman
William Helvestine & Alice Anderson
Bill & Shauna Kopit
David & Jaime Matyas
Daly Temchine & Linda Tiano
Donor ($500 - $999)
Friend (Up to $500)
Louis Benza (Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield)
Karen Bonnie Eaton
Peter Gray & Adria Zeldin
Frank & Amy Spadafino