KATHLEEN A. BARRETT is an Associate in the Employment, Labor & Workforce Management practice, in the Chicago office of Epstein Becker Green. Ms. Barrett was selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America©: “Ones to Watch” (2021) in the field of Litigation – Labor and Employment.
Ms. Barrett’s experience includes:
- Representing employers in a broad range of employment matters (including allegations of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wrongful discharge, breach of contract, and whistleblowing) before federal and state courts and administrative agencies
- Handling emergency and preliminary injunction matters involving restrictive covenants and trade secret disputes
- Counseling clients on employment laws, including, among others, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Illinois Human Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Illinois Wage Payment and Collection Act, the Illinois Minimum Wage Law, and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (or “HIPAA”)
- Advising employers on employment practices and procedures, such as employment policies, employment and separation agreements (including restrictive covenants and executive compensation), and employee handbooks
- Advising and training employers and industry stakeholders on compliance with recreational and medical marijuana (cannabis) laws recently passed in many states, including workplace drug policies, disciplinary action policies, and accommodations
Before joining Epstein Becker Green, Ms. Barrett was an attorney at an international firm devoted to representing management in labor and employment matters. Prior to that, she was an attorney at a litigation law firm and gained experience in commercial employment litigation and contract matters.
During law school, Ms. Barrett served as a 711 licensed attorney for the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation. She earned a certificate in Health Law and interned in general counsel offices for health care providers located throughout Illinois. Ms. Barrett also received several CALI "Excellence for the Future Awards" (in Legal Writing I, Legal Writing III, Health Care Fraud & Abuse, Health Care Regulations, and Health Policy and the Law) and participated in the law school’s Housing & Community Development Clinic.
- DePaul University College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2014)
- Order of the Coif
- Northwestern University (B.A., 2010)
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association