TERESA A. MASON is a Senior Counsel in the Health Care and Life Sciences practice, in the Washington, DC, office of Epstein Becker Green. She concentrates in health care fraud and abuse, risk adjustment coding and payment, government investigations, and health regulatory counseling.
- Defends a variety of health care entities against federal and state government investigations related to health care fraud and abuse arising under the anti-kickback laws, physician self-referral laws, false claims, and other state and federal fraud statutes
- Conducts internal investigations related to health care fraud and counsels clients on self-disclosures
- Counsels clients—including plans, vendors, and providers—regarding Medicare Part C risk adjustment coding and payment including false claims defense, self-disclosures related to overpayment, enforcement counseling, risk adjustment program review, and compliance with Medicare regulations
- Assists plans with response to CMS sanctions and implementation of program changes
- Assists Medicare Advantage Organizations with program audits, responses to imposition of civil monetary penalties and/or sanctions, and implementation of program changes
- Negotiates settlement agreement and corporate integrity agreements in connection with state and federal investigations
- Designs policies, procedures, and compliance documents
- Advises clients on legal and regulatory compliance matters arising under Medicare, Medicaid, and other third-party reimbursement programs.
Prior to joining Epstein Becker Green, Ms. Mason worked as a registered nurse in pediatric oncology, bone marrow transplantation, and emergency medicine. She also served as a medical analyst at a boutique litigation firm in the District of Columbia, where she was responsible for researching and analyzing medical information for attorneys who were defending major pharmaceutical companies in class action litigation.
In addition, Ms. Mason has served on the local board of the American Association of Legal Nurse Consultants as the assistant Director-at-Large of Education.
During law school, Ms. Mason was a member of the Georgetown Health Law Society and received a CALI Award for Excellence in Health Care Fraud and Abuse.
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D.)
- Liberty University (B.S.N.)
- District of Columbia
- American Association of Nurse Attorneys
- American Health Law Association
- Health Care Compliance Association