For more than 25 years, U.S. multinational and domestic employers needing strong legal representation have sought out Rob Lewis. He helps clients in the financial services, health care, luxury retail, and other industries with all their employment law matters arising under U.S. and foreign law, including defending employers in litigation, arbitrations, and other forms of alternative dispute resolution.
Clients turn to Rob for advice on cross-border and domestic matters involving harassment, discrimination, retaliation, wage and hour requirements, gender pay equity, and restrictive covenants and trade secrets. Rob also structures layoffs in compliance with federal and state WARN Acts and, most recently, has provided guidance on COVID-19-related issues. Additionally, his practice includes advising on issues arising from cross-border acquisitions and mergers, developing employment best practices and codes of conduct that apply internationally, and conducting investigations of employee misconduct. The matters Rob has defended at the federal, state, and local levels involve discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wage and hour, wrongful discharge, individual employment contracts, employee disloyalty and restrictive covenants, commission and compensation disputes, and other work-related tort claims.
Rob has lectured and written extensively on issues of international employment law. Additionally, he has led groundbreaking global pro bono projects relating to global poverty, international human rights, and anti-terrorism legal initiatives. For his efforts, Rob was bestowed the Jeremy G. Epstein Award for Outstanding Pro Bono Service from the New York City Bar Association's City Bar Justice Center in 2014.
Directly after graduating with honors from George Washington University, Rob served as a motions law clerk in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
- Defended a German real estate investment bank against New York-based executive’s multimillion-dollar claims for breach of contract and fraud arising from a performance-based bonus dispute, as well as constructive discharge, in arbitration before the International Centre for Dispute Resolution.
- Defended a Hong Kong-based financial technology company specializing in cross-border financial transactions against breach of contract, fraud, and California whistleblower claims alleged by a terminated Chief Compliance Officer.
- Defended a European state-owned airline against claims of age and national origin discrimination by a high-level executive and, subsequently, claims of religion and national origin discrimination and retaliation asserted by U.S.-based in-house general counsel who was involved in handling executive's discrimination claims.
- Defended a UK-based media company against whistleblower claims asserted by a former employee under New Jersey Conscientious Employee Protection Act arising from termination following the employee’s report of accounting irregularities.
- Defended a German-based high-end fashion designer and manufacturer against claims of sexual harassment by a member of the Managing Board of the German parent asserted by two New York-based female employees.
- Defended a diagnostic services and devices company against claims by a purported class for alleged wage and hour violations under the Fair Labor Standards Act, in which the court decertified the class.
- The George Washington University Law School (J.D., with honors, 1980)
- Articles Editor, Journal of International Law & Economics
- University of Connecticut (B.A., cum laude, 1977)
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- New York State Bar Association, Committee on International Employment Law
- American Bar Association, International Law Section
- Legal 500 United States, Litigation and Workplace and Employment Counseling ([Years?])
- New York City Bar Association's City Bar Justice Center, Jeremy G. Epstein Award for Outstanding Pro Bono Service (2014)
- New York Metro Super Lawyers, Employment & Labor, International, Business Litigation (2006 to 2019)
- Who’s Who in American Law (2011 to 2019)