KIRSTEN M. BACKSTROM is a Member of the Firm in the Health Care and Life Sciences Practice in the firm's Washington, DC office. She concentrates on the areas of health regulatory compliance, Medicare reimbursement, fraud and abuse, and government investigations.
- Advises hospitals and health care systems, physicians and physician groups, clinical laboratories, durable medical equipment suppliers, provider staffing companies, third-party billing entities, health care payors, and banking and venture capital firms on a wide range of federal and state health regulatory, fraud and abuse, and reimbursement matters
- Assists clients with internal and governmental investigations related to anti-kickback, self-referral, billing and coding, licensure and exclusion, and false claims issues
- Counsels health care providers in the development, implementation, and evaluation of their compliance programs
- Represents hospitals and other related providers in connection with compliance, survey, and enforcement under the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA)
- Counsels clients on health regulatory and reimbursement aspects relating to the planning and structuring of health care transactions and business arrangements
Ms. Backstrom has spoken on EMTALA, health care privacy, the Medicare appeals process, and corporate integrity agreements.
- The George Washington University (M.A., 1997)
- The George Washington University Law School (J.D., 1997)
- The George Washington University (B.A., 1994)
- District of Columbia
- American Health Lawyers Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar