JONATHAN M. BRENNER is a Member of the Firm in the Employment, Labor & Workforce Management practice in the Los Angeles office of Epstein Becker Green. He represents employers from a wide range of industries, including, among others, financial services, health care, retail, insurance, performing arts, and professional services, as well as academic institutions.
Mr. Brenner’s experience includes:
- Litigating the full range of employment disputes on behalf of management and employers before state and federal courts, in alternative dispute resolution venues, and before state and federal administrative agencies
- Representing clients in actions alleging race, age, sex, sexual orientation, and disability discrimination; sexual harassment; wrongful termination in violation of public policy; breach of employment contract; whistleblower retaliation; and related tort and contract claims
- Handling wage and hour class, collective, and representative actions brought under the California Labor Code, the federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), and the California Private Attorney General Act (PAGA)
- Litigating actions for benefits under ERISA, unfair labor practice charges under federal labor law, and class actions regarding background checks under the Fair Credit Reporting Act and analogous state laws
- Litigating restrictive covenant and misappropriation disputes involving former and recently hired employees in single- and multi-jurisdiction actions
- Advising employers on wage and hour compliance, employee leave requirements, workplace investigations, the preparation of employee handbooks and personnel policies, the reasonable accommodation process under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and California disability law, the use of arbitration agreements, and the use of non-compete agreements to protect employer business interests, among many other things
- Providing advice to management on employee terminations, including high-level and sensitive employee separations and the implementation of layoffs and reductions in force
- Counseling and representing colleges and universities in the full and often unique range of issues applicable to academic institutions
- Advising companies involved in corporate merger, acquisition, and divestiture transactions on employment-related and restrictive covenant issues
Before joining Epstein Becker Green, Mr. Brenner was a Partner in an international law firm’s West Coast Employment and Labor practice and a member of that firm’s Office of General Counsel.
Mr. Brenner was named among The Best Lawyers in America© (2016 to 2021) in Employment Law - Management. He has also been recommended in The Legal 500 United States in the areas of Labor and Employment Disputes (Including Collective Actions): Defense (2018-2021), and Workplace and Employment Counseling (2018-2021).
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 1992)
- Order of the Coif
- University of California, San Diego (B.A., with distinction, 1988)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- State Bar of California, Labor and Employment Law Section