MATTHEW P. SPRANKLE is an Associate in the Health Care and Life Sciences practice, in the Washington, DC, office of Epstein Becker Green. He focuses his practice on a variety of health care regulatory and transactional matters, including fraud, waste, and abuse counseling and defense; government investigations; health care compliance; mergers and acquisitions; corporate formation and governance; privacy, cybersecurity, and data asset management; and telehealth and telemedicine.
- Advises and defends health care and life sciences entities in connection with federal and state government investigations, payor audits, False Claims Act qui tam actions, and internal investigations related to health care fraud
- Guides clients through strategic affiliations and transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, and transactional health care regulatory diligence
- Negotiates and drafts various contracts, including master service agreements, vendor agreements, infrastructure access agreements, physician employment agreements, data use agreements, and non-disclosure agreements
- Counsels clients with respect to a range of corporate formation, structure, and governance matters
- Drafts privacy and security policies, data licensing agreements, and business associate agreements on behalf of HIPAA covered entities, business associates, and downstream entities
- Counsels clients on compliance with HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules and other relevant privacy laws, rules, and regulations
- Assists clients with legal issues related to big data analytics and digital health strategies, including those related to human subjects research
- Advises clients on compliance with state and federal laws affecting provision of telehealth and telemedicine services, including issues related to licensure, scope of practice, reimbursement and coverage, and online prescribing
Mr. Sprankle is a contributing author of Epstein Becker Green's Telemental Health Laws app, a comprehensive survey of state telehealth laws, regulations, and policies for mental and behavioral health practitioners and stakeholders across all 50 states and the District of Columbia, and is a contributor to the firm’s Health Law Advisor Blog. Mr. Sprankle also serves on the firm’s pro bono committee and participates as a presenter for educating incoming summer associate classes on business organizations.
Mr. Sprankle received his Juris Doctor, with a Health Law Certificate, from the University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law, where he served as an Associate Editor of the Maryland Law Review and President of the Student Health Law Organization. While attending law school, Mr. Sprankle also worked with the U.S. Attorney’s Office in the District of Maryland, the Office of the Maryland Attorney General, and the Risk Management and Patient Care section of a teaching hospital’s Legal Department.
Mr. Sprankle graduated, cum laude, with a Bachelor of Science in Business Management from the University of Delaware and then received a Master of Science in Education from Johns Hopkins University.
From 2013 to 2015, Mr. Sprankle was a Teach For America corps member and a seventh- and eighth-grade math teacher in Baltimore City. In this capacity, he worked to provide educational equality in underprivileged communities.
- University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law (J.D., 2018)
- Health Law Certificate
- Associate Editor, Maryland Law Review
- Johns Hopkins University (M.S., 2015)
- University of Delaware, Alfred Lerner College of Business and Economics (B.S., cum laude, 2013)
- District of Columbia