STEVEN M. SWIRSKY is a Member of the Firm in the Employment, Labor & Workforce Management and Health Care & Life Sciences practices, based in the New York office of Epstein Becker Green. He regularly represents employers in a wide range of industries, including retail, health care, manufacturing, banking and financial services, manufacturing, transportation and distribution, electronics and publishing. He frequently advises and represents United States subsidiaries and branches of Asian, European and other foreign-based companies. Mr. Swirsky is a Fellow of The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, a fellowship of the most accomplished members of the labor and employment law community in the United States.
- Advises employers on a full range of labor and employment matters involving labor and employment issues in transactional matters
- Represents employers in union avoidance, organizing campaigns, and related proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board
- Represents employers in collective bargaining and in connection with strikes, picketing and arbitration proceedings
- Handles grievances and arbitrations concerning work rule disputes and discharges, for both unionized and non-unionized employers
- Represents employers in a full range of employment litigation and administrative proceedings, including Title VII, ADEA, ADA and other employment discrimination matters before state and federal courts and administrative tribunals such as the EEOC, and the New York State Division of Human Rights
- Prepares and revises employment manuals and personnel policy manuals
- Structures employment agreements, including those involving protection of trade secrets and proprietary technology, and litigation involving employment contracts, restrictive covenants, and the protection of confidential and proprietary information
From 1978 to 1983, Mr. Swirsky served as a Field Attorney with the National Labor Relations Board in Brooklyn, New York. He has represented employers since leaving the Board in 1983.
Mr. Swirsky is co-editor and a frequent contributor to the Management Memo blog and the Health Employment And Labor blog. He frequently writes and speaks on a wide range of labor and employment law matters and presently serves on the boards of several not-for-profit organizations.
In addition to his election in 2015 as Fellow by The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, Mr. Swirsky was named by Law360 as one of only six Employment MVPs for 2014. He was also selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of Employment Law—Management and Labor Law—Management (2006 to 2018) and New York Metro Super Lawyers list in the areas of Employment and Labor and Employment Litigation: Defense (2007 to 2013). Mr. Swirsky is listed in PLC Which Lawyer? Yearbook and was "Recommended" in the Labor–Management Relations category by The Legal 500 United States (2012 to 2017). He has received an "AV Preeminent" Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell, signifying the highest level of professional excellence. Mr. Swirsky is also a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation.
- Fordham University School of Law (J.D., 1978)
- Member, Urban Law Journal
- Cornell University (B.S., 1975)
- School of Industrial and Labor Relations
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- New York
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- New York State Bar Association
- Cornell University, Industrial and Labor Relations, Alumni Association
- College of Labor & Employment Lawyers, Fellow
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow