Nancy Gunzenhauser Popper is sought after as an advisor by employers who want effective, practical counsel and solutions to the personnel issues they face every day. Nancy is adept at explaining highly nuanced laws that may differ across jurisdictions in an easy-to-understand way. As the nature of the work environment continues to change and new laws emerge, Nancy helps employers stay in compliance. Most recently, clients have been relying on Nancy’s advice for handling workforce challenges arising from the COVID-19 pandemic, such as remote work, return-to-work, training, and wage and hour issues.
Nancy helps her clients effectively navigate complex state and local employment laws (including sick leave, leaves of absences, hiring laws, and termination laws) and create policies and documents that are user-friendly and readily implemented by HR professionals. HR professionals and in-house counsel also turn to Nancy for assistance in complying with all aspects of the employment relationship, from pre-employment considerations and hiring to terminations and post-employment restrictions.
Additionally, Nancy performs internal investigations when allegations of wrongdoing in the workplace arise. She also conducts trainings for employers on a variety of workplace issues, and has led hundreds of anti-harassment training sessions as well as trainings for managers and HR personnel on such issues as leaves and accommodations.
Nancy’s clients range from employers of small technology start-ups and emerging businesses to large multinational corporations. They include companies across many industries, such as health care, retail, financial services, and consulting.
- Serves as primary day-to-day employment counsel for employers of all sizes, finding practical solutions based on each client’s risk profile.
- Conducted a multi-year internal investigation for a New York-based financial services company involving government prosecution of its Chief Executive Officer in connection with fraud against the client. The results of the investigation and cooperation with the government prosecution team led to multiple former employees and affiliates of the client being sentenced to time in prison and owing substantial sums (over $10 million) of restitution to our client.
- Helped a global hospitality client right-size its U.S. office population in compliance with state WARN laws and prepared separation agreements compliant with local laws after the client was hit hard financially by the global pandemic and the changing nature of the consumer travel industry. Nancy conducted a disparate impact analysis to flag any potential discrimination concerns. She also helped the client manage high-profile layoffs of over 1,000 employees, which resulted in zero lawsuits filed and no WARN violations alleged.
- Created a monthly report for a major sports league to identify new and emerging employment law issues with practical next steps.
- Helped a global financial services firm manage recurring reductions in force through a detailed due diligence process to identify potential risk. Nancy managed a large team and created a client-friendly work product to deliver to the internal business team to appropriately assess its risk.
- Created comprehensive time-off policies for a global information services company navigating vacation, sick leave, and other time-off rules across nearly all 50 states and multiple local jurisdictions with nuanced leave laws.
- Brooklyn Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2013)
- Vanderbilt University (B.A., 2010)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- New York
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Labor and Employment, “Ones to Watch” (2021)