KEVIN J. RYAN is a Member of the Firm in the Health Care and Life Sciences practice, in the firm's Chicago office.
- Advises for-profit and not-for-profit health care clients, including hospitals, nursing homes, surgery centers, physician groups, and other provider organizations and businesses on transactions and regulatory matters, including licensing laws, HIPAA privacy requirements, and state and federal administrative matters
- Counsels providers on Medicare and Medicaid rules relating to state and federal anti-kickback and fraud and abuse laws; the physician self-referral laws, also known as the Stark Law; and reimbursement issues
- Counsels for-profit and not-for-profit businesses on mergers, acquisitions, and joint ventures
- Drafts and negotiates managed care agreements, physician employment agreements, licensing agreements, and management services agreements
- Advises international clients on issues concerning the globalization of the health care industry, including the development of, and participation in, international provider networks and the growing medical tourism industry
Before beginning his legal practice, Mr. Ryan was the Director of Planning at a 700-bed community hospital in suburban Chicago. After becoming an attorney, Mr. Ryan served for six years as General Counsel for a national preferred provider organization located in Chicago that serviced 1,600 hospitals, over 85,000 physicians, and 400 payors.
Mr. Ryan was recommended by The Legal 500 United States (2016 to 2018) in the M&A - Middle-Market category, and he has been recognized by Leading Lawyers as a top Illinois lawyer in the area of Health Law (2003 to 2019). His peers have selected him for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© (2021) in the field of Health Care Law. He frequently lectures before legal and industry associations and regularly contributes to legal and health care journals.
- Chicago-Kent College of Law (J.D., 1987)
- University of Chicago (M.B.A., 1981)
- University of Notre Dame (B.S., 1979)
- Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys