When health care providers enter high-value acquisitions to expand patient access and scale operations nationally, Kevin Ryan offers regulatory and due diligence counsel to ensure deal integrity. Kevin’s focus on the business of health care includes the corporate practice of medicine and telehealth. Clients value the former hospital executive and managed care company general counsel’s practical, bottom-line solutions and experience with all medical specialties. Kevin represents private equity firms and health care providers—from startups to large national corporations.
During transactions, Kevin examines all health regulatory issues connected to an acquisition—licensing, policies, procedures, Medicare, Medicaid, privacy, security, and more. Clients rely on Kevin to oversee multiple agency approvals and prevent costly regulatory liabilities in these complex, multistate deals. He has collaborated with national deal teams involving private equity acquisitions of specialty pharmacies, ophthalmology services, radiology companies, and other providers.
In addition, Kevin advises telemedicine clients on new obligations and opportunities spurred by the COVID-19 pandemic. He develops corporate compliant structures and 50-state regulatory strategies. Drawing upon four decades of experience addressing scope of practice issues for nurse practitioners, dentists, physical therapists, mental health therapists, and others, Kevin provides timely and actionable answers to emerging regulatory challenges. Kevin is the author a chapter in the book Corporate Practice of Medicine: A Fifty State Survey, published by the American Health Lawyers Association.
- Led health regulatory due diligence for a major vision care company in its multibillion-dollar sale to a major private equity firm. The purchase of one of the biggest optometry practices in the country from a private equity firm owner required regulatory counsel on the purchase agreement, disclosure schedule and release, and other information required by the buyers.
- Advised a private equity firm on health regulatory issues in its acquisition of a large outpatient behavioral provider and several specialty pharmacies. Kevin led due diligence and review teams examining the related health contracts, credit agreements, disclosure schedule, purchase agreement, payor contracts, insurance compliance, and plans of correction, among other issues.
- Provide guidance to a range of national telehealth providers, including online mental health care providers, on state and national laws and ensure the right agreements and licenses are in place.
- Advise and counsel health care providers on scope of practice, corporate practice of medicine, anti-kickback, and contracting issues, particularly as they expand into new states.
- Represented many private equity firms in their investments in the health care sector, advising on due diligence issues, contracts with clients, and all regulatory issues related to its investment in a digital pharmacy.
- Advised numerous major telebehavioral companies on regulatory issues concerning telehealth, corporate practice of medicine, reimbursement, the Food and Drug Administration, compliance, and fraud and abuse.
- Chicago-Kent College of Law (J.D., 1987)
- University of Chicago (M.B.A., 1981)
- University of Notre Dame (B.S., 1979)
- The Best Lawyers in America: Health Care Law (2021)
- Leading Lawyers: Illinois, Health Law (2003 to 2020)
- The Legal 500 United States: M&A - Middle Market (2016 to 2018)