KAREN MANDELBAUM* is a Senior Counsel in the Health Care and Life Sciences practice, in the firm’s Washington, DC, and Baltimore offices. She has deep experience in all aspects of data privacy and protection due to her work as a privacy and security official at the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), and in the private sector.
- Advises clients on all aspects of federal and state privacy and consumer data protection laws and regulations, including, HIPAA, HITECH, and 42 CFR Part 2
- Offers advice on designing and developing effective data governance strategies that maximize value and encourage trust
- Provides counsel on developing and implementing cybersecurity and privacy programs, designing information system security and privacy policies, implementing and operationalizing privacy and security controls, and designing metrics to monitor program compliance
- Advises on developing policies and procedures for security and privacy incident reporting and breach notification, responding to cyber incidents and data breaches, and mitigating the impact of data breaches
- Counsels clients on provider reimbursements and Medicare, Medicaid, and Affordable Care Act programs and models
- Represents health care clients in fraud, waste, and abuse-related investigations and litigation
Ms. Mandelbaum received the 2018 CMS Administrator’s Honor Award for Execution of Major Projects in appreciation of her contributions to the New Medicare Card Initiative. She also received the 2017 Administrator’s Honor Award for Organizational Excellence in recognition of her contributions to developing the Website Notices for Healthcare.gov and Medicare.gov as part of the Office of Communications Marketing and Privacy Team.
*Admitted in Minnesota; not admitted in the District of Columbia or Maryland.
- Carlson School of Management (M.H.A., 2007)
- William Mitchell College of Law (J.D., 2004)
- University of Minnesota (B.A., 2000)