John Eriksen leads private equity investors and strategic buyers and sellers through complex regulatory requirements and other deal hurdles, which he has done in approximately 500 transactions in the health care industry. John provides clients with the information they need to meet their business goals and helps bring quality deals to closing. He applies his in-house experience as assistant general counsel to a health system and as general counsel of a large multispecialty physician practice to bring practical solutions to real-world problems.
John advises company executives and boards of directors on ways to improve governance practices. He places a particular focus on ensuring that executives and directors are fulfilling their governance obligations while leveraging the value of compliance programs across organizations.
In his counsel to private equity investors, strategic buyers, and their portfolio companies, John aligns strategies to clients’ business goals and risk profiles. His experience with the regulatory infrastructure and deal dynamics helps clients differentiate the issues that will—or will not—impact a deal and future business operations. John’s proactive, C-suite perspective helps him uncover and resolve overlooked areas of risk.
With a portfolio of transactions valued from a few hundred thousand dollars to multibillion-dollar deals, John brings a balanced approach to deals, leadership of due diligence teams, clear client commitment, and creative solutions to issues that may arise in a client’s business. John’s prior experience as a litigator strengthens the guidance he provides clients on their ongoing regulatory compliance and transactions.
- Represented a private equity investor in its acquisition of a behavioral health care company. John also provides continuing advice on a number of regulatory issues concerning compliance program improvement, telehealth, corporate practice of medicine, reimbursement, and fraud and abuse issues.
- Advised a private equity investor in its acquisition of an integrated Medicare Advantage health plan and health care delivery network.
- Advised a private equity investor in its acquisition of a large provider of urgent care and walk-in medical services.
- Represented a leading health care provider in its merger with a health care services company based in Tennessee. The merger created a new organization that operates numerous regional health systems, physician practices, outpatient centers, health plan, and post-acute care centers around the country. The new company has over $8 billion in annual revenue.
- Advised a private equity investor in its acquisition of three leading home care organizations creating one of the largest home-based care services in the United States, having over $1 billion in annual revenue. John also provides ongoing counsel to the company and its board of directors.
- Represented a private equity investor in its acquisition of an ambulatory surgery center development group and concurrent affiliation with a national health system.
- University of Maryland School of Law (J.D., 2001)
- University of Wisconsin (B.A., 1989)
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- Maryland Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- District of Columbia
- American Health Lawyers Association