JOHN W. ERIKSEN is a Member of the Firm in the Health Care and Life Sciences and Litigation practices, in the Washington, DC office.
Mr. Eriksen's experience includes:
- Providing day-to-day counsel to health systems, insurers, managed care organizations, hospitals, Medicare Advantage and Prescription Drug Plans, accreditation organizations, and other health care entities on a broad range of issues, including strategic development, transactions, interactions with state and federal agencies, and routine and non-routine contracting matters
- Counseling clients concerning federal and state regulatory compliance for health care entities, including provider and vendor contracting, state and federal reimbursement, insurance and licensure laws, and fraud and abuse matters
- Managing all aspects of transactional regulatory health care due diligence, and deal and offering document drafting and review for a variety of health care entities, pharmaceutical manufacturers, lenders, and investors
- Providing transactional advice concerning the structure of, and documentation and approvals related to, acquisitions and joint ventures involving managed care entities, health systems, hospitals, ASC, DME, homecare, and other health care companies
- Serving as litigation and investigation counsel in federal and state health care matters, including compliance, fraud and abuse, reimbursement dispute, and tort and contractual issues
For approximately three years, Mr. Eriksen was an Assistant General Counsel at Sutter Health, a not-for-profit health system located primarily in Northern California and consisting of medical foundations, hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, home care services, a Knox-Keene licensed health plan, and other ancillary health care services. In this capacity, Mr. Eriksen served many functions, including, but not limited to, acting as primary counsel to Sutter Health's Sutter Health Surgery Center Division and Sutter VNA & Hospice, providing all aspects of corporate, health regulatory, and business advice related to governance, day-to-day operations, due diligence, mergers and acquisitions, corporate formation, tax exemption matters, contractual relations, and as a Corporate Secretary to the Board of Directors for three Sutter Health-affiliated entities. Prior to joining Sutter Health, Mr. Eriksen was a health care attorney at Epstein Becker Green for nine years.
While attending the University of Maryland School of Law, Mr. Eriksen served as the Managing Editor of its Journal of Health Law and Policy. Before attending law school, he held a variety of health care-related administrative positions in local, state, and federal governments, including the Minnesota Department of Health, as well as in private corporations.
- University of Maryland School of Law (J.D., 2001)
- University of Wisconsin (B.A., 1989)
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- Maryland Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- District of Columbia
- American Health Lawyers Association