J. WILLIAM COOK is a Senior Counsel in the Litigation & Business Disputes and Employment, Labor & Workforce Management practices, in the New York and Newark offices of Epstein Becker Green.
Mr. Cook represents individuals and corporations in complex business and employment-related litigation in the state and federal courts and before arbitral tribunals, including the American Arbitration Association, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, and JAMS. He has handled bench and jury trials, arbitrations, mediations, TRO and preliminary injunction hearings, and appeals.
Mr. Cook’s practice includes:
- Restrictive covenant and trade secret litigation and counseling involving the movement of employees between competitive businesses
- Employment litigation, on behalf of employers and their management, involving claims of unpaid compensation, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and wrongful termination
- Commercial litigation involving contract disputes, breach of non-competition and non-solicitation agreements, the misappropriation of trade secrets, unfair competition, and corporate raiding claims
Mr. Cook is a member of the firm’s Trade Secrets & Employee Mobility strategic working group and has lectured on restrictive covenants in Epstein Becker Green’s webinar series.
Before entering private practice, Mr. Cook served as an Assistant Corporation Counsel in the Office of the Corporation Counsel of the City of New York, Commercial and Real Estate Litigation Division, where he represented the City of New York and its constituent agencies in government contracts, construction, and real estate litigation. Prior to joining Epstein Becker Green, Mr. Cook was an attorney with a regional litigation and management-side labor and employment boutique.
- New York Law School (J.D., 1994)
- University of Pennsylvania (M.C.P., 1990)
- Public Policy Concentration
- Vassar College (B.A., 1988)
- New Jersey State Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- New Jersey
- New York
- The LGBT Bar Association of Greater New York (LeGaL)
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- New York City Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association