GARY W. HERSCHMAN is a Member of the Firm in the Health Care and Life Sciences practice, in the Newark and New York offices of Epstein Becker Green. He serves on the firm’s Board of Directors, and also on its National Health Care and Life Sciences Steering Committee. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Herschman was Co-Chair of the Health Care Practice Group of a large regional law firm.
Mr. Herschman represents a diverse group of health care clients, including health systems, hospitals, large physician groups, nursing homes, long-term care facilities, ambulatory surgery centers, home health companies, private equity and other investment funds specializing in health care companies, ambulance companies, dialysis companies, imaging centers, medical marijuana/cannabis providers, specialty care networks, management services organizations (MSOs), and other health care businesses.
Mr. Herschman advises and assists health care providers in strategically positioning themselves in the rapidly changing health care marketplace. This includes advising clients in regard to consolidations, affiliations, mergers and acquisitions, as well as, joint ventures, physician alignment, clinically integrated networks, ACOs, MSOs, IPAs, PHOs, and population health contracts. Mr. Herschman also advises health care clients on regulatory compliance (federal and state), Stark, fraud and abuse, corporate compliance, HIPAA, government investigations, and civil and administrative health care litigation.
Mr. Herschman is a frequent speaker at local and national conferences on a variety of cutting-edge health care law issues, with a focus on strategic transactions for physician groups, hospital consolidations, affiliations and acquisitions, hospital-physician alignment transactions, the formation of ACOs and CINs, regulatory compliance issues (Stark, fraud and abuse, etc.), major clinical and facility joint ventures, recent government enforcement initiatives, reducing whistleblower exposure, and conducting "Stark" audits of hospital-physician arrangements. He also has authored many articles on current health care law issues published in local and national publications.
In addition, Mr. Herschman serves as Chair of the Fraud & Abuse Practice Group of the American Health Lawyers Association, and is a member of the Editorial Boards of Bloomberg Law’s Health Law & Business and Health Care Compliance Association’s Compliance Today.
- The George Washington University Law School (J.D., 1989)
- Order of the Coif
- Editor, The George Washington Law Review
- Lafayette College (B.A., 1986)
- summa cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- New Jersey
- New York
- District of Columbia
- American Health Lawyers Association:
— Fraud & Abuse Practice Group: Vice Chair (June 2011-May 2017), Chair (June 2017-present)
— Enforcement Committee (2010-2011)
- Bloomberg Law’s Health Law & Business – Editorial Advisory Board Member
- Compliance Today – Editorial Board Member
- Center for Health & Pharmaceutical Law & Policy at Seton Hall Law School – Advisory Board Member
- Healthcare Financial Management Association – New Jersey and New York Chapters
- American Bar Association – Health Law Forum
- American College of Healthcare Executives
- New Jersey State Bar Association – Health & Hospital Law Section
— Health Law Section Delegate, NJSBA General Council
- New York State Bar Association – Health Law Forum
- Circle of Life Children’s Center, Inc. (2012-2013)
- The Make-A-Wish Foundation of New Jersey (2005-2008)
- The Best Lawyers in America©: 2010-2020, Health Care Law; 2019 Newark Health Care Law “Lawyer of the Year”
- Chambers USA®: 2006-2020, New Jersey Healthcare
- The Legal 500 United States: 2017-2019, Healthcare: Service Providers; 2017-2020, M&A: Middle Market (Sub-$500 Million)
- New Jersey Law Journal Professional Excellence 2020 Award: Dealmakers
- New Jersey Super Lawyers®: 2005-2020, Health Care
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV rating