DAVID W. GARLAND is a Member of the Firm in the Employment, Labor & Workforce Management practice, in the firm's New York and Newark offices. Mr. Garland is also Chair of the firm's National Employment, Labor & Workforce Management Steering Committee and a member of the firm's Board of Directors.
Referred to as an “excellent, experienced litigator” in Chambers USA (2015) and because of his extensive jury trial skills, Mr. Garland is frequently retained in matters involving clients’ most senior executives and in high-profile, high-stakes, and highly sensitive cases. These matters include:
- employment discrimination, wrongful discharge, and other employment-related litigation, including cases involving allegations of whistleblowing, retaliation, sexual harassment; discrimination; alleged violations of family leave, equal pay, and other statutes; and contract, public policy, and tort claims;
- restrictive covenants, including non-compete agreements; and
- wage and hour litigation.
Mr. Garland also counsels clients on developing employee handbooks and policies and practices (concerning employee discharge and discipline, downsizing and reductions in force, employee privacy, and restrictive covenants) to avoid litigation.
As a member of Epstein Becker Green’s Israel practice, Mr. Garland frequently represents U.S. subsidiaries of technology and other companies headquartered in Israel.
Mr. Garland has been a guest lecturer on employment law topics and career development for lawyers, at Columbia University Business School (MBA program), Gabelli School of Business at Fordham University, George Washington University Law School, and William & Mary Law School.
- The George Washington University Law School (J.D., 1985)
- College of William and Mary (B.A., 1980)
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- New York
- Academy of New Jersey Management Attorneys
- American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- American Employment Law Council
- The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, Fellow
- Cornell Institute for Hospitality Labor and Employment Relations Advisory Board
- George Washington University Law School Business & Finance Advisory Board
- Litigation Counsel of America, Senior Fellow
- National Finance Industry Employment Law Committee
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section
- New York State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- XBHR Global Forum for Cross-Border HR Experts
- Yeshiva University General Counsel's Council