Carmine Iannaccone is the go-to trial lawyer employers trust to defend them in high-stakes litigation involving wrongful termination, discrimination, harassment, and retaliation. Widely regarded for his extensive courtroom experience in jury trials, he is an aggressive advocate who never hesitates to fight for Fortune 500 pharmaceutical and utility industry companies. His combination of skill, persuasion, and personality sways juries to see a case from the employers’ point of view.
In addition to his long track record of success as a litigator, Carmine served for many years as Epstein Becker Green’s Managing Director. He also spent four years as Vice Chair of the firm’s Finance Committee. Carmine views his clients’ legal challenges from a management perspective and draws on his own experience as an employer to inform practical workforce solutions.
Over the years, Carmine has developed enduring client relationships based on open communication and trust. In keeping his clients’ objectives at the forefront, he never takes anything for granted when tackling their legal problems. His balanced decision-making approach provides transparency about the outcomes Carmine strives to achieve and the costs to make those results happen. In tough negotiations, clients value that Carmine goes above and beyond to secure the upper hand.
When he is not at trial, Carmine draws on his in-depth experience to counsel and train employers to avoid litigation risks when dealing with workforce management challenges that can arise when hiring, evaluating, promoting, disciplining, and terminating employees.
- Served as lead counsel representing an international logistics company against a gender discrimination claim by a former high-level senior executive. After a two-week trial, the jury entered a verdict in favor of the employer, and the court awarded more than $70,000 in costs to Carmine’s client.
- Represented one of the largest law firms in New Jersey against a claim of age discrimination by a former partner. Carmine won a motion for a directed verdict at the close of all of the evidence.
- Tried a gender and race discrimination case brought by a then-current female executive against a major high-tech client. Before jury selection, the plaintiff demanded $11 million, but after a three-month jury trial, the jury returned a verdict for $225,000 and no punitive damages.
- Defended a utility company against a lawsuit filed by a former paralegal and purchasing agent alleging age and disability discrimination. After conducting depositions and an extensive background investigation, Carmine moved for summary judgment. The court granted the motion and dismissed the plaintiff’s complaint in its entirety.
- Served as lead counsel for an industrial equipment manufacturer in an employment discrimination case. Carmine successfully moved for summary judgment, which the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit affirmed.
- Defended a large publishing company against a lawsuit filed by a plaintiff who claimed that she was wrongfully terminated by the company. Among other things, she sued for discrimination on the basis of pregnancy in violation of the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination and interference with her leave rights in violation of the Family and Medical Leave Act. At the close of discovery, Carmine moved for summary judgment on all claims. The district court granted the motion and dismissed the plaintiff’s claims in their entirety.
- Defended a real estate developer against a plaintiff asserting collective action claims. The plaintiff contended that the developer failed to pay her and other employees for partial-day absences, thereby rendering her non-exempt from the overtime requirements of the FLSA. Carmine’s motion to dismiss the plaintiff’s FLSA collective action claims was granted.
- Tulane University School of Law (J.D., 1977)
- Editor, Law Review
- Villanova University (B.A., 1973)
- Supreme Court of the United States
- New Jersey Federal Courts
- New Jersey State Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- New Jersey
- American Arbitration Association
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- New Jersey Bar Association
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Employment Law—Management (2011 to 2021)
- BTI, Client Service All-Stars (2017)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business,Leader in New Jersey—Labor & Employment (2007 to 2020)
- The Legal 500 United States, Labor and Employment Disputes (Including Collective Actions): Defense (2016 to 2020) and Workplace and Employment Counseling (2019 to 2020)
- New Jersey Super Lawyers, Employment & Labor and Civil Litigation: Defense (2005 to 2021)