LYNN SHAPIRO SNYDER is a Senior Member of Epstein Becker Green in the Health Care and Life Sciences and Litigation practices in the firm's Washington, DC, office, and she is Strategic Counsel with EBG Advisors, Inc. Ms. Snyder has over thirty-five years of experience at Epstein Becker Green, advising clients about federal, state, and international health law issues, including Medicare, Medicaid, TRICARE, compliance, and managed care issues. Her clients include health care providers, payors, pharmaceutical/device manufacturers, and those companies and financial services firms that support the health care industry, including management and separate board representations. She publishes extensively and is a frequent speaker, particularly on topics related to health reform, enterprise risk, and compliance.
Modern Healthcare magazine named Ms. Snyder as one of the "100 Most Powerful People in Healthcare" in its inaugural list, in August 2002. In April 2005, Modern Healthcare magazine named Ms. Snyder as one of the "Top 25 Women in Healthcare." In the May 2006 issue of Nightingale's Healthcare News, Ms. Snyder was named one of the "Outstanding Fraud & Compliance Lawyers for 2006." She has been selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© (2006 to 2018) in the field of Health Care Law; named to the Washington, DC Super Lawyers list (2007 to 2017) in the area of Heath Care; recommended by The Legal 500 United States (2014, 2016); and, over the years, recognized in Chambers USA. Ms. Snyder received an "AV Preeminent" Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell, signifying the highest level of professional excellence. In 2007, Ms. Snyder was presented with the 2007 Women to Watch Award by the Jewish Women International. She also has been quoted in The New York Times and other leading publications.
Ms. Snyder serves on the firm's Board and Finance Committee. The firm's Health Care and Life Sciences practice is one of the largest health law practices in the United States. She is Chair of the Third-Party Payment Practice Group, which concentrates on legal and regulatory matters arising under third-party payment programs such as Medicare, Medicaid, and TRICARE. Ms. Snyder co-chairs the Health Care Fraud Practice Group that focuses on federal and state fraud issues, including anti-kickback, self-referral, false claims, secondary payor issues, and false billings. She also co-chairs the Health And Employment Law (HEAL) Group, leading the Health Care and Life Sciences practice in its partnership with the firm's national Labor and Employment practice. She also contributes to the HEAL blog. Ms. Snyder also works on matters in the Pharmaceutical Industry Health Regulatory Practice Group and the Managed Care/Integrated Delivery System Practice Group.
Ms. Snyder's experience includes serving as:
- Strategic Advisor on Medicare, Medicaid, and Private Payer Matters such as coding/coverage/payment issues and new payment methods, such as accountable care, pay for value, and HCPCS/CPT codes;
- Lead defense counsel for several health care firms, including one of the largest pharmaceutical firms, one of the largest home health service firms, and one of the largest respiratory services firms in connection with significant fraud investigations/settlements with the federal and state governments;
- Lead health care deal counsel for private equity firms and strategic partners regarding health policy and health regulatory issues for health care firm transactions, including lead health regulatory counsel for the buyout of HCA by three private equity firms;
- Outside General Counsel for over a decade to the American Managed Care and Review Association (now AHIP), a national trade association for HMOs, PPOs, and UROs.
Ms. Snyder is Founder and President of the Women Business Leaders of the U.S. Health Care Industry Foundation.™ Epstein Becker Green is the founding sponsor of this Foundation. See www.wbl.org. She has authored "Advancing Women in Business: 10 Best Practices" and co-authored "Answering the Call: Understanding the Duties, Risks and Rewards of Corporate Governance."
With respect to Ms. Snyder's international activities, she has attended the following health care business missions—Belgium 1995, Israel 1997, Brazil 1999, Italy 2002, Argentina 2005, Czech Republic 2006, Ireland 2008, Chile 2009, France 2010, Great Britain 2012, the Netherlands 2013, Israel 2014, Scotland 2015, and Denmark 2016.
Ms. Snyder represented several health trade associations during the enactment of the 1977 Medicare Anti-Fraud and Abuse Amendments and the 1978 HMO Amendments. Ms. Snyder has served as a member of (1) the State of Florida Agency for Health Care Administration Health Care Fraud and Abuse Working Group (1993-1994) and (2) Study Panel on Reforming the Fee-for-Service Medicare Program, sponsored by the National Academy of Social Insurance (1996-1998). She represented the American Hospital Association in drafting the legislation for the Medicare Prospective Payment ("DRG") System (1982).
Ms. Snyder joined the firm in 1979 and is admitted to practice law in the District of Columbia, the State of Florida, and before the United States Supreme Court. She was board recertified as a Specialist in Health Law in the State of Florida beginning August 1, 2003. She earned a B.A. in Economics from Franklin & Marshall College in 1976 and her J.D. from the George Washington University National Law Center in 1979. On a more personal note, Ms. Snyder is married to Jeffrey M. Snyder and has three children. She is active in the American Israel Public Affairs Committee.
- The George Washington University Law School (J.D., 1979)
- Franklin & Marshall College (A.B., 1976)
- Magna Cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Economics with Health Economics concentration
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- District of Columbia
- New York
- American Bar Association, Health Care White-Collar Crime Committee
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Food and Drug Law Institute
- Health on Wednesday, a group of Women Health Policy Experts, Founding Member