LORI A. MEDLEY is an Associate in the Litigation practice, in the New York office of Epstein Becker Green, and a member of the Technology, Media, and Telecommunications strategic industry group. She litigates a wide range of complex commercial disputes, employment discrimination matters, and other employment-related matters in state and federal courts, in a variety of industries, including financial services and banking, health care, advertising, and insurance. Ms. Medley also represents managed care organizations in disputes between members/insureds and individual and corporate health care providers. She also focuses on electronic discovery practices and procedures. Ms. Medley litigates a wide range of issues, including:
Hostile work environment
Breach of contract
Insurance coverage disputes
Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
- In March 2013, Ms. Medley obtained summary judgment on behalf of a messenger company in a religious discrimination action brought under New York State and local discrimination laws by a plaintiff who alleged that the messenger company had failed to accommodate his religious practices.
- In February 2013, the Supreme Court of the State of New York, New York County, dismissed on summary judgment a complaint brought by an individual whose $35 million deduction for tax shelter losses was disallowed and who sought reimbursement of more the $5 million in Internal Revenue Service ("IRS") penalties, interest on unpaid income tax, and investment losses against an Epstein Becker Green client, a trust company. Salt Aire Trading LLC v. Enterprise Bank and Trust Corp., S.Ct., N.Y. Co. Index No. 603798/07 (2/25/13).
- In March 2008, Ms. Medley obtained summary judgment on behalf of a manufacturer of agricultural chemical products by persuading the New York State court to adopt a broad application of the "economic loss rule" to bar a third-party claim that alleged that a herbicide applied to corn and alfalfa failed to provide appropriate weed control (herbicide non-performance).
Ms. Medley serves on the New York City Bar Association's Labor and Employment Law Committee. She also serves on the Junior Board of Figure Skating in Harlem.
- Seton Hall University School of Law (J.D., 2002)
- cum laude
- Rider University (B.A., 1999)
- summa cum laude
- New Jersey State Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- New Jersey
- New York
- American Bar Association
- Figure Skating in Harlem, Junior Board
- New York City Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Committee Member
- New York Junior League, Volunteer