Successfully buying, selling, and combining publicly or privately owned businesses demands a detailed understanding of all aspects of the deal and the market.
Epstein Becker Green’s mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures team helps companies find opportunities and avoid pitfalls from start to finish—from evaluating objectives at the outset of a potential merger, acquisition, or divestiture, through due diligence, negotiations, closing, and post-closing. Clients also benefit from our focused knowledge of highly regulated industries, including health care.
We represent all types of participants in mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, spin-offs, joint ventures and strategic alliances, public offerings, strategic partnerships, recapitalizations, reorganizations, and restructurings. These participants include, among others, financial institutions advancing funds for acquisitions or restructurings; brokers, investment bankers, and other M&A intermediaries; companies contemplating strategic acquisitions or divestitures; equity investors seeking a position in private or public companies; insurance companies, pension funds, and other mezzanine lenders; and management groups desiring to acquire a particular company or division.
Clients appreciate that we know their business goals and work with them to create value at every stage of the deal, whether they are on the buy side or the sell side.
Our full suite of services includes:
- Offering guidance on a transaction’s structure
- Identifying and evaluating the tax impacts of the transaction
- Analyzing federal and state statutes affecting transaction options and structure in various areas
- Evaluating the impacts of corporate organizational and other governance documents on transaction options and structure
- Identifying and addressing significant commercial or credit obligations
- Advising governing boards and senior management concerning transaction options and structure
- Coordinating and executing due diligence reviews
- Reviewing/drafting and negotiating transaction documentation
- Analyzing and negotiating the pension, welfare, and executive compensation aspects of the transaction
- Correcting any benefit plan-related problems or liabilities resulting from the transaction, and preparing new or revised compensation and benefit agreements, plans, and arrangements for the post-acquisition company and its employees, executives, and directors
- Assisting with post-closing integration
As one of the country’s premier law firms in the health law field, Epstein Becker Green is regularly asked by clients across the health care continuum (including physician groups, hospital systems, nursing homes, home health agencies, ambulatory surgery centers, imaging centers, behavioral health providers, telehealth providers, health care tech and device companies, pharmacies, and clinical research organizations, among others) to provide support and counsel in their health care transactions. We also handle corporate transactions for clients in various other industries, including:
- Computer software and services
- Education and training
- Financial services
- Hospitality and lodging
- Life sciences (including biotechnology and medical devices and pharmaceutical companies)
- Media, public relations, marketing, and communications
- Professional services (including accounting, legal, and consulting firms)
- Retail, fashion, and apparel
End-to-End Transaction Support
Since complex transactional work requires an examination of many issues, our mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures lawyers leverage the firm’s breadth of experience across a variety of disciplines—such as antitrust, capital markets, corporate governance, environmental, intellectual property, government contracts, labor and employment, physician self-referral, real estate, reimbursement (including Medicare and Medicaid fraud and abuse), and state regulation and licensure, among others—to provide end-to-end transaction support cost-effectively and efficiently. When needed, the firm also supplies dispute resolution and litigation services.