Webinar Series: Compliance Risk amid COVID-19
This complimentary four-part, on-demand webinar series is geared towards educating hospitals, health systems, health care providers, and health care-related businesses.
States and federal agencies have issued enforcement discretion and other flexibilities amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Notably, the Office for Civil Rights (“OCR”) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services announced that—for the duration of the COVID-19 emergency—it would exercise enforcement discretion and waive any potential penalties for HIPAA violations relating to health care providers’ use of “everyday communications technologies” in the provision of services via telehealth. This move has posed numerous privacy, security, and compliance questions as well as heightened risks for organizations and businesses. While some providers may be eager to see the extension of the current waiver, and even welcome a permanent change to HIPAA, providers should be cognizant of the double standard imposed when seeing patients’ in-person versus using a virtual platform.
Epstein Becker Green has developed this series to help hospitals, health systems, health care providers and businesses understand the terms of enforcement and identify steps to manage privacy and security risks. Each webinar will outline privacy and security basics and steps towards risk mitigation.
Presented by attorney Karen Mandelbaum. Topics include:
- What does it mean?
- How long does it last?
- To whom does it apply?
- Mitigation steps even with enforcement discretion
Presented by attorney Alaap B. Shah. Topics include:
- What does the privacy rule allow?
- How is a public health authority defined?
- Why are such disclosures important?
- What are the various state law reporting obligations?
- How do you manage disclosures?
- OCR support of business associate disclosures for public health purposes
Patricia M. Wagner. Topics include:
- OCR's guidance on media access
- Enforcement discretion for testing sites
- Mitigation steps with media on-site
Matthew H. Berger. Topics include:
- A brave new world
- COVID-19 attacks
- Medical and pharmaceutical industry targeted
- No need to reinvent the wheel
- COVID-19 cybersecurity advice from federal officials
If you have questions, please contact Eury Jung at [email protected].