Teresa Mason concentrates on health care fraud and abuse, risk adjustment coding and payment, government investigations, and health regulatory counseling.
- Defends a variety of health care entities against federal and state government investigations related to health care fraud and abuse arising under the False Claims Act, the Anti-Kickback Statute, physician self-referral laws, and other state and federal fraud statutes
- Conducts internal investigations related to health care fraud and counsels clients on self-disclosures
- Negotiates settlement agreements and corporate integrity agreements in connection with state and federal investigations
- Counsels clients—including plans, vendors, and providers—regarding Medicare Part C risk adjustment, including false claims defense, self-disclosures related to overpayment, enforcement counseling, risk adjustment program review, RAD-V preparedness, coding/documentation guidance, and compliance with Medicare regulations
- Assists Medicare Advantage Organizations with CMS program audits, responses to imposition of civil monetary penalties and/or sanctions, and implementation of program changes
- Assists hospitals and health systems with disclosing or responding to non-compliance with Medicare Conditions of Participation, including EMTALA violations
- Designs institutional policies, procedures, and compliance documents
- Advises clients on legal and regulatory compliance matters arising under Medicare, Medicaid, and other third-party reimbursement programs.
Teresa has been chosen by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America©: “Ones to Watch” (2021) in the field of Health Care Law.
Prior to joining Epstein Becker Green, Teresa worked as a registered nurse in emergency medicine, pediatric oncology, and bone marrow transplantation. She also served as a medical analyst at a boutique litigation firm in the District of Columbia, where she was responsible for researching and analyzing medical information for attorneys who were defending major pharmaceutical companies in class action litigation.
In addition, Teresa has served on the local board of the American Association of Legal Nurse Consultants as the assistant Director-at-Large of Education.
During law school, Teresa was a member of the Georgetown Health Law Society and received a CALI Award for Excellence in Health Care Fraud and Abuse.