Attorney Bob O’Hara* focuses his practice on employment law counseling and litigation as well as human resources counseling, compliance, and training.
Bob’s experience includes the following:
- Conducting and overseeing workplace investigations (including sexual harassment, bribery, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, product quality, supply chain theft, and malfeasance of every kind), executive terminations, and government audits
- Representing employers in federal and state trial and appellate courts in matters involving breach of employment contracts, alleged wage and hour violations, alleged wrongful terminations, harassment and discrimination claims, and other employment law issues
- Successfully defending more than 300 compliance audits by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs and Wage and Hour Division
- Advising employers on all facets of the employment relationship, from pre-employment considerations and hiring to terminations and post-employment restrictions, as well as compliant diversity and inclusion program parameters
- Counseling employers on complying with equal pay laws, and performing pay equity analyses to address potential disparities within their hiring, pay, and retention practices
- Counseling employers with respect to the avoidance of employment-related disputes, employee discipline, leaves of absence, workplace safety (OSHA), accommodation requests, and termination of employment (including voluntary and involuntary reductions in force)
- Providing advice to clients on implementing various environmental, social, and governance (ESG) measures to enhance the long-term success of their business
- Advising employers on how to maximize the benefits of artificial intelligence in the workplace (including in the recruitment and selection process) while minimizing potential risks
- Identifying and solving the unique labor and employment law issues faced by multinational companies operating in various legal regimes, and implementing global programs to ensure that compliance requirements are met
- Helping employers implement global privacy compliance, investigation, and auditing initiatives; cybersecurity and data breach response protocols
- Conducting workplace training for employees, managers, and human resources personnel
In 2020, Bob was admitted to The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers as a Fellow, the highest recognition by one’s colleagues of sustained outstanding performance in the profession, exemplifying integrity, dedication, and excellence.
Immediately before joining Epstein Becker Green, Bob was an Assistant General Counsel and Senior Vice President of Member Engagement for a nonprofit employer association dedicated to helping its members manage workplace compliance requirements and risks. Prior to that, for 18 years, Bob managed employment law and compliance for a Fortune 50 company with 225,000 employees operating in more than 150 countries. During that time, he was also a significant contributor to U.S. Congress-directed negotiations on Americans with Disabilities Act amendments and Section 503 disability regulations.
Earlier in his professional career, Bob spent 13 years at the National Security Agency in a number of intelligence analyst and management positions, including as Senior Intelligence Analyst for the National Security Council at the White House, and had assignments in the Pentagon supporting the Secretary of Defense and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He also clerked for the Assistant General Counsel for Administrative and General Law at the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of General Counsel.
*Admitted in Connecticut and the District of Columbia; not admitted in New York.
- ADA and Public Accommodations
- Affirmative Action/OFCCP Compliance
- Corporate Governance
- Employment Compliance Counseling
- Employment Litigation
- Employment, Labor & Workforce Management
- General Counsel Services
- Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA)
- Pay Equity
- Privacy, Cybersecurity & Data Asset Management
- Remote and Hybrid Work
- Wage and Hour
- Workforce Government Relations
- Workforce Restructuring and Other Cost-Saving Mechanisms
- Workplace Investigations
- Worked on a pay equity analysis for a technology company’s U.S.-based population. We provided the legal guidance on grouping, comparators, and mitigation strategies, where needed.
- Worked with clients in both health care (hospitals) and financial services on fatality and hospitalization investigations with OSHA. As the COVID pandemic evolved, OSHA continued to shift its recordkeeping and investigations requirements, further confusing clients on what is required. We collected, synthesized, and responded directly to OSHA on our clients’ behalf.
- Duke University, Sanford School of Public Policy (Certificate in Corporate Social Responsibility and ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance), 2021)
- INSEAD (Certificate in Transforming Your Business with AI, 2021)
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., 1995)
- Defense Intelligence College (now the National Intelligence University) (M.S., 1990)
- Walsh University (B.A., 1982)
- District of Columbia
Professional & Community Involvement
- American Bar Association, National Equal Employment Opportunity Committee, Employer Co-Chair (Sept. 2021 to Aug. 2023)
- American Employment Law Council
- The College of Labor & Employment Lawyers, Fellow
- The Hartford Bishops' Foundation, Board of Directors
- Holy Apostles College and Seminary (Cromwell, CT), Board of Directors
- Malta House of Care Foundation (Hartford, CT), Board of Directors