Employers trust attorney Mike McGahan to provide solutions to help them maintain productive relationships with their union-and non-union workforces. He represents clients across the health care and life sciences, insurance, trucking, theatre, and hospitality industries in a full range of labor relations matters.
He also helps them navigate compliance with rapidly changing federal, state, and local employment laws concerning discrimination, the payment of wages, leaves of absence, and accommodations. Management and HR teams rely on his ability as a skilled negotiator and advisor when negotiating their collective bargaining agreements, costing their union proposals, and upholding the terms of those contracts. Mike has defended employers in hundreds of grievance arbitrations involving both disciplinary and contract interpretation issues.
Executives and HR managers value Mike’s insight into the industry trends and regulatory changes that impact issues in collective bargaining. In tense negotiations, his level-headed, straightforward approach drives the best possible result for his client.
For employers with non-unionized or partially unionized workforces, Mike provides strategic counsel and training to successfully respond to union representation petitions and elections. He also defends them against claims of unfair labor relations practices in National Labor Relations Board proceedings and appeals. Companies frequently tap Mike to perform pre-merger due diligence reviews to quantify and address their potential liability stemming from existing collective bargaining agreements, pending employee claims and litigation, successorship, WARN Act responsibilities, and large-scale pension plan withdrawals.
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Employment Law – Management and Labor Law – Management (2021 to 2024)
- St. John’s University School of Law (J.D.)
- Fordham University (B.A.)
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
Professional & Community Involvement
- American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- New York State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section