Attorney Marc Mandelman partners with employers to meet their employment law compliance obligations at every step of the employment relationship.
Clients across the country value his deep understanding of federal, state, and local laws, and his creative solutions for managing risk in their recruiting, compensation, policies and practices, performance management, accommodation, and restructuring activities.
When economic downturns and world events necessitate reductions in force, Marc is the go-to resource for practical advice and data analytics to support decisions and manage the risk of discrimination claims. He helps clients adhere to mass layoff advance notification laws by using his state-by-state knowledge of WARN Act nuances. Employers often seek his advice to comply with equal pay laws and rely on his guidance in performing pay equity analyses to address potential disparities within their pay, hiring, and retention practices. Marc serves as the Co-Chair of Epstein Becker Green’s Pay Equity Practice Group.
When challenges arise in his clients’ leave of absence or accommodation requests, Marc gives the right balance of legal knowledge and practical advice tailored to their needs. His many long-term clients consider him a member of their team because he knows their business operations and their goals. Deal counsel also frequently taps Marc for pre-acquisition due diligence to limit exposure to employment law compliance risks, including addressing potential wage and hour and independent contractor-related misclassification liability.
Marc’s pro bono work includes counseling nonprofit and community organizations. He is immediate Past President of Temple Emanuel of the Pascack Valley, where he has served as a member of the Board of Trustees and Executive Committee for more than 10 years. He is also Vice President of the Board of the Children’s Law Center of New York and Chair of its Human Resources Committee.
Immediately following law school, Marc served for two years as Law Clerk to federal Magistrate Judge Michael L. Orenstein in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York (1993-1995).
- ADA and Public Accommodations
- Corporate Reorganization
- Employee Relations Investigations
- Employment Compliance Counseling
- Employment Litigation
- Employment Training
- Employment, Labor & Workforce Management
- Labor and Employment Due Diligence
- Labor Management Relations
- Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA)
- Pay Equity
- Remote and Hybrid Work
- Wage and Hour
- Workforce Restructuring and Other Cost-Saving Mechanisms
- Serves as primary day-to-day employment counsel for many large corporations, including a Fortune 500 company and financial services industry employers of all sizes, including many private equity and hedge funds.
- In 2020, in addition to providing routine everyday counseling on employment laws and employee relations matters, Marc assisted many of these clients with creating and implementing a COVID-19 health and safety policy and protocols that enabled the clients to reopen operating centers.
- Counseled many businesses, including two major hotel chains severely impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic on preparing WARN Act notices in dozens of states and in reporting the employee furloughs and terminations to governmental entities. Due to Marc’s efforts, these furloughs and closures resulted in zero lawsuits filed and no WARN violations alleged.
- Guides many financial services organizations, a manufacturing conglomerate and a large hospital system in performing a pay equity analysis and revising their compensation models to meet fair pay standards.
- Lead counsel for acquisition employment law due diligence for a major private equity firm. Marc’s creative analysis on the classification of direct sales model sales representatives saved a recent transaction.
- Chambers USA: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business, New York—Labor & Employment (2022 to 2023)
- The Legal 500 United States, Labor & Employment: Workplace & Employment Counseling (2009 to 2013, 2016 to 2023)
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Litigation – Labor and Employment (2018 to 2024)
- New York Metro Super Lawyers, Employment & Labor: Employer (2019 to 2022)
- Hofstra University School of Law (J.D., 1993)
- Managing Editor, Hofstra Labor Law Journal, v. 10
- Hobart College (B.S., with honors, 1986)
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York