Attorney Lori Medley uses creative but practical strategies to resolve disputes, manage liabilities, and find effective solutions for clients facing litigation in the employment and commercial sectors.
Using strong advocacy skills, Lori strategically represents and defends a broad range of employers, ranging from financial services companies to top-tier nonprofit agencies, against discrimination and employment-related claims brought in federal and state court, as well as actions brought before federal, state, and local agencies. Lori provides guidance to employers regarding compliance with constantly evolving employment laws.
Clients rely on Lori’s advice and counsel regarding disputes brought pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). Over the years, Lori’s litigation practice has included representing financial services institutions in commercial litigations as well as representing a major disability and life insurer in ERISA claims litigation.
Lori works with clients to develop client-focused solutions for resolving matters pre-litigation. Lori’s impact in settlement negotiations is evident in the favorable client outcomes Lori achieves in both the pre-litigation stage and in mediations. When litigation occurs, Lori’s creative strategies for responding to complex legal arguments help achieve dismissal of litigations prior to trial. Lori also works with clients to reduce future liability.
Lori is a member of the New York Junior League.
Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances.
- Obtained dismissal of numerous discrimination and retaliation complaints filed before various government agencies against a top-tier nonprofit that focuses on assisting individuals with barriers to employment obtaining self-sufficiency. Lori assessed the organization’s strengths and defenses and crafted strategies that led to the dismissal of the actions.
- Secured the dismissal of an FDCPA action brought against a New York-based collection agency for health care organizations. Lori proved that the plaintiff’s claim was baseless and in contravention of prevailing Second Circuit precedent regarding the ways in which a debtor is permitted to dispute a debt or exercise other rights under the FDCPA.
- Obtained summary judgment in various U.S. District Courts on behalf of a large life insurance company, in numerous actions involving claims for long-term disability benefits governed by ERISA.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a messenger company in a religious discrimination action brought under New York State and local discrimination laws by a plaintiff who alleged that the messenger company had failed to accommodate his religious practices. The New York Supreme Court, Appellate Division, First Department, subsequently affirmed the trial court’s decision to dismiss the suit.
- Secured a dismissal on summary judgment of a complaint brought in the Supreme Court of the State of New York, New York County, by an individual whose $35 million deduction for tax shelter losses was disallowed and who sought reimbursement of more the $5 million in Internal Revenue Service ("IRS") penalties, interest on unpaid income tax, and investment losses against an Epstein Becker Green client, a trust company.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a manufacturer of agricultural chemical products by persuading the New York State court to adopt a broad application of the "economic loss rule" to bar a third-party claim that alleged that a herbicide applied to corn and alfalfa failed to provide appropriate weed control (herbicide non-performance).
- Seton Hall University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2002)
- Rider University (B.A., summa cum laude, 1999)
- New Jersey
- New York
- Washington State
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
Professional & Community Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- New York Junior League