Providers and other health care industry organizations seeking to create and realize value through strategic transactions turn to attorney Laurajane Kastner. She is a health care M&A attorney who excels at completing complex deals efficiently while explaining complicated concepts in an easy-to-understand way and offering practical advice.
With two decades of corporate law experience, with the last 12 years focused on health care-related transactions, Laurajane regularly advises on asset and equity acquisitions and sale divestitures, corporate governance issues (formation, operating agreements, redemptions, business separations, and settlements), and general contract matters (supply, management, and procurement agreements).
Laurajane’s clients include institutional health care providers, ambulatory surgery centers, large physician practices, and both established and emerging entities operating both nationally and regionally in health and life science-related fields. She advises them on everything from structuring and corporate governance to executing complex corporate transactions.
Clients rely on Laurajane’s deal counseling, her oversight of due diligence and client disclosures, and her drafting of definitive sale and purchase agreements that control both acquisitions and divestitures of equity and assets. Laurajane drafts deal-specific or general governance documents that meet her clients’ goals, protects them as they navigate their day-to-day business operations, and, if applicable, looks to exit strategies or maximization of business value.
With the rise in private equity transactions, Laurajane helps target entities negotiate favorable terms and structures for the deal itself, as well as continue their post-closing operation under private equity ownership.
Corporate boards value Laurajane’s advice on corporate formality and governance. She advises on and implements formation strategies, and drafts operating and shareholder agreements to assist clients in meeting corporate and governance mechanisms—whether a client is a small family-owned business, a large established client, or a joint venture.
Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances.
- Closed the sale of a practice to private equity as an add-on to a platform in another state; however, given the size and prestige of the client, this was effectively a platform acquisition in Colorado. Laurajane conducted a heavy negotiation focused on business goals and contractual provisions to protect the client’s interest and guard against client concerns.
- Completed the sale of a large orthopedic practice to private equity. Laurajane negotiated the definitive agreements and led the management team through the stages of the transaction to its closing and the transition to private equity ownership.
- Handled the successful sale of a multi-office pediatric practice owned by a solo physician who wanted to sell to private equity before an anticipated state tax change expected to take place at the start of the next calendar year. Laurajane assisted the client with producing the substantial diligence requested by the acquirer. She restructured the client-related entities to reduce negative tax implications pertaining to its pre-reorganization tax elections.
- Represented a nonprofit multi-service population health management and advocacy organization to launch an expansion of client services from both from a scope and geographic position. Laurajane created an on-campus health clinic that provides health care to the client’s residents as well as client staff. She worked with certain affiliates (of which the client is the affiliate’s corporate member) to find opportunities to provide high-quality care.
- Represented a regional group of ambulatory surgery centers affiliated through a common majority ownership in the acquisition of additional ambulatory surgery centers. Laurajane negotiated the acquisition of additional centers in strategic locations that will attract ownership of additional physicians and will expand the client’s market position.
- Represented the parent company of several plasma collection centers in moving from a center ownership model to the development and management of plasma centers. Laurajane handled the sale of a collection center in which the client was a joint venturer. She facilitated expansion through the development of additional collection centers in new joint ventures and in connection with strategic ventures with plasma customers in need of plasma supply.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America©, Health Care Law (2024). This award is conferred by Best Lawyers. A description of the selection methodology is available here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, New Jersey—Healthcare (2021-2023). This award is conferred by Chambers and Partners. A description of the selection methodology is available here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- New Jersey Super Lawyers “Rising Stars” list, Health Care and Business/Corporate (2011-2015). This award is conferred by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology is available here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- New Jersey Law Journal’s “New Leaders of the Bar” (2014). This award is conferred by the New Jersey Law Journal. A description of the selection methodology is available here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Rutgers University School of Law – Newark (J.D.)
- Articles Editor, Rutgers Law Review
- Franklin & Marshall College (B.A.)
- Presidential Scholar
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
Professional & Community Involvement
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Pennsylvania State Bar Association