Attorney Laura DePonio* draws on her in-house experience and knowledge of health care operations, as well as her understanding of the legal and regulatory challenges of emerging technologies, to help her clients achieve their strategic objectives.
Laura’s practice focuses on matters arising at the intersection of health care and technology. She advises clients on business transactions and regulatory compliance in both traditional and innovative health care ventures. Clients, ranging from startups to Fortune 100 companies, value her pragmatic approach, which balances both legal and business considerations.
Experienced in acting on behalf of a broad range of organizations in the health care, life sciences, and technology sectors, Laura’s background, including a master’s degree in public health, allows her to understand the objectives and unique challenges faced by clients operating in these industries. Laura’s regulatory experience includes data privacy matters under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), the Federal Trade Commission's Health Breach Notification Rule, and other federal and state privacy laws; health care fraud and abuse issues; and Food and Drug Administration regulatory matters. She also provides guidance on the development and deployment of new technologies, including artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning in health care, telehealth, mobile health applications, and wellness platforms.
Before joining Epstein Becker Green, Laura was a health care, technology, transactions, and privacy attorney at an international law firm. Previously, she was an associate in-house counsel for a hospital system in Texas, where she served as the primary legal counsel for the system’s physician practices arm, advising on telehealth, primary care, and specialty practices; graduate medical education program; accountable care organization; and transplant program. She also worked on both transactional matters and related regulatory implications of the Stark Law, the Anti-Kickback Statute, EMTALA, HIPAA, and other federal and state regulatory frameworks. While in law school, Laura served internships for the Honorable Judge Victoria A. Roberts of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan and for the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, Health Professions Licensure Division.
*Admitted in Michigan and Texas; not admitted in Massachusetts.
- Counseled a regional health system on the transaction structure, negotiation, and implementation of a long-term oncology collaboration, aimed at transforming the delivery of cancer care and research in the region.
- Served as counsel to a multinational technology corporation focusing on deploying large language model AI-based technologies and services and related compliance with medical device and health care services regulatory frameworks. Laura advised on risk identification and mitigation strategies arising from existing and proposed legislative and regulatory actions related to AI algorithmic bias and discriminatory impacts in health care services.
- Provided primary counsel to a health system related to the deployment and expansion of telehealth service lines and related joint ventures.
- Served as legal counsel to the ambulatory services COVID-19 task force of a health system, managing pandemic-related issues, including related expansion of technology capabilities, testing procurement, vaccine rollout, and employee management.
- Created health care facility policies on a wide range of topics adopted system-wide across an $18 billion health care corporation in 11 different states.
- Drafted health care publications on evolving industry and regulatory guidance, including guides on health professional licensing and record retention rules for health care facilities and physician practices throughout Michigan.
- The Best Lawyers in America, “Ones to Watch,” Business Organizations (Including LLCs and Partnerships) (2024)
- Northeastern University School of Law (J.D., 2017)
- Staff Member, Northeastern University Law Review
- Tufts University Medical School (M.P.H., 2017)
- University of Michigan (B.A., 2011)
Professional & Community Involvement
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section's Healthcare Facility Operations Interest Group, Leadership Team (2023 to 2024)
- Meru Data: Understanding My Health My Data Act