Employers across industries count on attorney Laura Schuman to represent them in labor and employment matters. She defends clients in disputes before the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) and in employment litigation involving allegations of discrimination, wrongful discharge, breach of contract, and retaliation by former and present employees.
Also a trusted advisor, Laura counsels in-house counsel and human resources and labor relations professionals on labor relations issues as well as on compliance with federal, state, and local laws affecting the workplace. In addition, Laura drafts employment, confidentiality, and separation agreements, and reviews and analyzes due diligence and employment documents for mergers and acquisitions.
Before joining Epstein Becker Green, Laura was an attorney in the Labor and Employment Business Unit of an East Coast law firm. She previously served as an NLRB Honors Law Clerk with the NLRB Division of Judges in the New York branch office.
During law school, Laura earned a Peggy Browning Fellowship that enabled her to work at a labor union in the sports industry. For the union, she conducted legal research and provided legal analysis of labor and employment matters, including matters that affected collective bargaining obligations, privacy concerns, and updates to public policy, and ensured that the union complied with applicable law.
Earlier in her professional career, Laura worked for a labor union in the entertainment industry, providing support in high-profile arbitrations and collective bargaining negotiations. She also conducted research on such matters as employee misconduct, ownership of media rights, bargaining history, and contract interpretation disputes.
- Rutgers University School of Law – Newark (J.D., cum laude, 2016)
- Articles Editor, Rutgers Law Record
- Clinical Law Student, Rutgers Law School Community and Transactional Lawyering Clinic
- American Bar Association and the Bureau of National Affairs, Award for Excellence in Labor and Employment
- Connecticut College (B.A., cum laude, 2009)
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
Professional & Community Involvement
- Peggy Browning Fellowship, Alumnus
- BLR Webinar: New Laws with Major Impact on Employers Operating in New Jersey Taking Effect: What You Need to Know to ComplyApril 2020