Experienced health care attorney Kirsten Backstrom concentrates her practice on the areas of health regulatory compliance, Medicare reimbursement, fraud and abuse, and government investigations.
- Advises hospitals and health care systems, physicians and physician groups, clinical laboratories, durable medical equipment suppliers, provider staffing companies, third-party billing entities, health care payors, and banking and venture capital firms on a wide range of federal and state health regulatory, fraud and abuse, and reimbursement matters
- Assists clients with internal and governmental investigations related to anti-kickback, self-referral, billing and coding, licensure and exclusion, and false claims issues
- Counsels health care providers in the development, implementation, and evaluation of their compliance programs
- Represents hospitals and other related providers in connection with compliance, survey, and enforcement under the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA)
- Counsels clients on health regulatory and reimbursement aspects relating to the planning and structuring of health care transactions and business arrangements
Kirsten has spoken on EMTALA, health care privacy, the Medicare appeals process, and corporate integrity agreements.