Attorney Jonathan Brenner represents employers from a wide range of industries, including, among others, financial services, health care, retail, insurance, performing arts, and professional services, as well as academic institutions.
Jonathan’s experience includes:
- Litigating the full range of employment disputes on behalf of management and employers before state and federal courts, in alternative dispute resolution venues, and before state and federal administrative agencies
- Representing clients in actions alleging race, age, sex, sexual orientation, and disability discrimination; sexual harassment; wrongful termination in violation of public policy; breach of employment contract; whistleblower retaliation; and related tort and contract claims
- Handling wage and hour class, collective, and representative actions brought under the California Labor Code, the federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), and the California Private Attorney General Act (PAGA)
- Litigating actions for benefits under ERISA, unfair labor practice charges under federal labor law, and class actions regarding background checks under the Fair Credit Reporting Act and analogous state laws
- Litigating restrictive covenant and misappropriation disputes involving former and recently hired employees in single- and multi-jurisdiction actions
- Advising employers on wage and hour compliance, employee leave requirements, workplace investigations, the preparation of employee handbooks and personnel policies, the reasonable accommodation process under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and California disability law, the use of arbitration agreements, and the use of non-compete agreements to protect employer business interests, among many other things
- Providing advice to management on employee terminations, including high-level and sensitive employee separations and the implementation of layoffs and reductions in force
- Counseling and representing colleges and universities in the full and often unique range of issues applicable to academic institutions
- Advising companies involved in corporate merger, acquisition, and divestiture transactions on employment-related and restrictive covenant issues
Before joining Epstein Becker Green, Jonathan was a Partner in an international law firm’s West Coast Employment and Labor practice and a member of that firm’s Office of General Counsel.