Corporate and transactional attorney David Weiss has spent more than 25 years helping emerging and established companies, their boards, their owners, and their management teams throughout all stages of their life-cycle, from formation and capital raising, to growth through acquisitions and joint ventures, and to exit/sale transactions.
With substantial experience in the middle market, David has managed complex dynamics in hundreds of deals. He represents a broad client base of buyers, sellers, privately and publicly held companies, investors, and executives.
Many of his transactions involve representing private equity portfolio companies in acquisitions or representing private companies or their management teams in their sales to private equity-backed purchasers.
Clients value the practical, problem-solving mindset that David brings to transactions, as well as his responsiveness, his ability to get complex deals done efficiently and effectively, and his ability to convey to clients complex and sophisticated transactions, and their components, in a clear and practical manner. He works closely with clients to understand their business needs and objectives and then structures and negotiates transactions to meet their goals.
David has considerable experience representing clients on corporate and securities matters, including mergers and acquisitions, securities matters, and general corporate matters.
David’s extensive deal activity also informs his counsel to company executives and management teams on employment agreements, management buyout transactions, and rollover equity arrangements. In addition, David advises companies and their boards of directors on corporate governance issues.
His clients span a wide range of industries, such as health care (including hospitals and health systems, physician practice groups, health plans and technology and related services in the health care industry, and digital health); biotechnology and medical devices; pharmaceutical; professional services (including accounting, legal, and consulting); computer software and services; education and training; hospitality and lodging; manufacturing; media, public relations, marketing, and communications; and retail, fashion, and apparel.
David currently serves on the Board of Directors of The Piatigorsky Foundation, a nonprofit devoted to providing classical music to underserved audiences. He previously served as outside general counsel to City Harvest, a nonprofit food rescue organization based in New York, and is currently an adjunct professor at Cornell Tech, where he teaches digital health law.
A resident of New York for more than 25 years, David has also lived in New Jersey, Arizona, Michigan, London, Tampa, and Nashville. He’s a fan of the New York Giants, Mets, Knicks, and Rangers, Michigan Wolverines, and Wisconsin Badgers.
Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances.
- Provided representation to a publicly held diversified health risk assessment services company in the sale of its paramedical and medical examination line of business.
- Represented a health care accounts receivables management company in its sale to a private equity-backed strategic purchaser.
- Provided representation to a national private-equity backed for-profit hospital system in connection with its acquisition of four distinct hospital systems in Connecticut, New Jersey, and Rhode Island.
- Represented a home care company in its acquisition of another private equity-backed home health care company.
- Represented a private equity-backed national wound care management services company in its acquisition of a regional wound care management services company.
- Provided representation to a publicly-held health and wellness company in the sale of its clinical reference laboratory business.
- Represented a venture-backed health care staffing company in its sale to a private equity-backed purchaser.
- Represented a publicly-held software and services provider in its merger with and into another software and services provider.
- Represented a New York-based accounting firm in connection with its merger with a multinational accounting firm.
- Provided representation to an apparel company in its acquisition of a retail clothing chain with stores throughout the United States.
- Represented an Australian, publicly held biotechnology company in its sale of assets related to two product lines to a U.S.-based purchaser.
- Represented a large multi-office orthopedic practice group in its conversion to an administrative services organization structure.
- Represented a variety of public companies, including an NYSE Amex-listed health and wellness and risk assessment services company, a Nasdaq Global Market-listed medical device manufacturer, an NYSE Amex-listed software and services provider, an NYSE-listed medical device manufacturer, and an AMEX-listed mortgage REIT.
- Provided representation to a global offshore software development company in its $50 million private placement of preferred stock.
- Represented a private equity/VC investor group in connection with the acquisition of preferred stock in a marketing program provider.
- Listed in The Legal 500 United States, M&A: Middle Market (2019); Healthcare: Service Providers (2017). This award is conferred by The Legal 500. A description of the selection methodology is available here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America©, Health Care Law (2024). This award is conferred by Best Lawyers. A description of the selection methodology is available here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Vanderbilt University Law School (J.D., 1995)
- Student Writing Editor, Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law
- Moot Court Board
- University of Michigan (B.A., 1990)
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
Professional & Community Involvement
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association