Clients value attorney Dave Diaz’s practical approach and strategic advice on a variety of employee benefits matters relating to qualified retirement plans, executive compensation arrangements, health and welfare plans, and transactional matters.
Dave regularly works on the design, amendment, and administration of various types of employee benefit plans, including defined benefit pension plans, cash balance plans, 401(k) plans, employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs), incentive compensation programs, nonqualified deferred compensation plans, employee stock purchase plans (ESPPs), severance plans, and cafeteria and welfare plans. He also advises clients on issues affecting employee benefit plans in sales, acquisitions, spin-offs, and other corporate transactions.
Additionally, clients trust Dave to represent them in investigations, self-correction matters, and audits involving the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL), and the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC). He also assists with IRS, DOL, and PBGC filings and other reporting/disclosure requirements and helps clients process and respond to benefit claims and appeals of benefit claims denials.
Before joining Epstein Becker Green, Dave was a Senior Attorney and Director of the Employee Benefits Compliance Center at an international law firm. Earlier in his career, he was an assistant state attorney in the Office of the State Attorney for the Ninth Judicial Circuit of Florida. He has held internships with the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of the Benefits Tax Counsel, the IRS’s Office of Chief Counsel, and the DOL’s Employee Benefits Security Administration.
Dave is a former U.S. Marine who served as an Infantry Radio Operator with Echo Company, 2nd Battalion, 4th Marines, stationed at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.
- The Best Lawyers in America, “Ones to Watch,” Labor and Employment Law (2021 to 2024)
- D.C. Access to Justice Commission and the D.C. Bar Pro Bono Center, Capital Pro Bono High Honor Roll (2016)
- U.S. Department of Treasury, Office of the Benefits Tax Counsel, William F. Sweetnam Jr. Scholar (2009)
- University of Illinois Chicago School of Law (L.L.M., with honors, 2009)
- Master of Laws in Employee Benefits
- University of Florida, Levin College of Law (J.D., 1996)
- Florida Southern College (B.S.B.A., cum laude, 1994)
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Tax Court
Professional & Community Involvement
- American Bar Association, Tax Section
- The 401(k) Handbook, the Pension Plan Fix-It Handbook, and the Guide to Assigning and Loaning Benefit Plan Money Editorial (Thompson Publishing Group), Advisory Board
- Hispanic Bar Association of the District of Columbia
- Hispanic National Bar Association