Attorney Clay Lee has been chosen by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America©: “Ones to Watch” in the fields of Health Care Law (2021 to 2024) and Criminal Defense: White Collar (2021 to 2022). In 2020, he was also selected for the Mid-South Rising Stars list in the area of Health Care.
Clay's work includes the following:
- Representing individuals and businesses in all aspects of litigation and in connection with federal and state government audits and investigations
- Serving as outside counsel for organizations and individuals in federal civil rights claims
- Conducting internal investigations, acquisition diligence reviews, and compliance risk assessments
- Defending clients in criminal health care fraud cases and in False Claims Act matters (including qui tam litigation) based on allegations of Stark/Anti-Kickback Statute violations
- Representing clients in white-collar criminal defense matters, including grand jury investigations
Before joining Epstein Becker Green, Clay served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), in its Nashville office, and served as an advisor and instructor for DOJ’s international rule of law programs in Bangladesh. As a prosecutor, Clay was responsible for coordinating federal investigations into hundreds of violent and sophisticated organized criminal organizations. He represented the government in dozens of federal jury trials and has extensive appellate experience before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
While attending law school, Clay served as a clerk to Circuit Court Judge Lee Russell of the 17th Judicial District of Tennessee. Prior to law school, Clay worked as a research scientist in a developmental genetics laboratory at Vanderbilt University and later served as a biology instructor and lecturer at the University of Arkansas.
- University of Arkansas, Graduate School and International Education (M.S., 2011)
- University of Arkansas School of Law (J.D., 2010)
- University of Tennessee (B.S., 2006)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Tennessee