Health care clients value Avery Schumacher for her broad knowledge of the health care industry, public health, and health administration.
Her practice regularly focuses on medical staff, credentialing, peer review, and quality improvement issues. She also represents hospitals and other health care organizations in contractual arrangements, including a variety of hospital-physician relationships, and counsels clients on operational and fraud and abuse compliance matters.
In addition, Avery routinely advises health care clients on issues involving telehealth, professional licensure, HIPAA regulations and regulatory compliance orders, and organizational record retention and destruction schedules. She is also familiar with matters related to clinical research. Earlier in her career, Avery acquired professional experience within two of central Ohio’s largest health care provider networks. She also worked in-house for a nationally ranked nonprofit public health care system and academic medical center in Northeast Ohio. Avery has a Master’s degree in Health Administration.
- Helped manage, coordinate, and prepare legal arrangements necessary to establish a COVID-19 hospital surge facility for use by several of central Ohio’s primary hospital systems. Avery also assisted in facilitating negotiations among three health systems, the surge facility’s primary owner, and its food service contractor.
- Ohio Rising Stars, Health Care (2021, 2022)
- The Best Lawyers in America©: “Ones to Watch” in Health Care Law (2024)
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D., 2016)
- Executive Board and Note Editor, The Ohio State Law Journal
- LL.M. Legal Writing Fellow
- The Ohio State University College of Public Health (M.H.A., 2016)
- Caswell Scholar
- The Ohio State University (B.A., summa cum laude, 2011)
Professional & Community Involvement
- American Health Law Association
- Early Career Professionals Council, Chair
- Medical Staff, Credentialing, and Peer Review Practice Group
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Health Law Section, Vice-Chair and Head of Membership
- Leadership Academy Class of 2021-2022
- Ohio State Bar Association
- June 12-14, 2023
- Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting: The Future Is Now — Legal Concepts to Know and Understand Re TelemedicineJune 2022
- Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting: Ageism, Alcohol, De-Wormer and Lawyers — Recent Cases That Impact Your Medical StaffJune 2022
- AHLA: Nonprofit Board Membership — A Primer on Getting InvolvedMay 2022
- November 19, 2021